What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The latest incarnation of my Simcoe/Centennial/Citra IPA.

After making this recipe 6 or 7 times and making small changes each time, THIS time I tweaked the hop balance, changed the grain bill to lighten up the SRM a bit and, for the first time, built water from RO using the Bru'n Water Pale Ale profile, so I think this one will be worlds different from any of the previous versions.

So I just went back for over a month and picked up where Jimmythegeek left off. Jimmy I hope you're brewing! Get back to your baby! This thread needs ya!

Brewed an IIPA last night based on the Citra recipe. But didn't realize till after I was done, that the 10minute and in additions were all Amarillo instead of Citra...LOL! Needless to say, I'm not too concerned about the substitution. :)

IIPA on the left, RyeIPA on the right....
CameraZOOM-20140325095802193_zpshuaakgok.jpg

I can not thumbs up my own posts, so if any of ya want to return the favor by thumbsupping this one, It'd be much appreciated :) [/blatantployforinternetacceptance]

So I just went back for over a month and picked up where Jimmythegeek left off. Jimmy I hope you're brewing! Get back to your baby! This thread needs ya!

Brewed an IIPA last night based on the Citra recipe. But didn't realize till after I was done, that the 10minute and in additions were all Amarillo instead of Citra...LOL! Needless to say, I'm not too concerned about the substitution. :)

IIPA on the left, RyeIPA on the right....
CameraZOOM-20140325095802193_zpshuaakgok.jpg

I can not thumbs up my own posts, so if any of ya want to return the favor by thumbsupping this one, It'd be much appreciated :) [/blatantployforinternetacceptance]

Just wondering are you using a unshielded light bulb for a heat source?

^ LOL...I was thinking someone would pick up on that. Yes, although if there's any chance the bulb is coming on, I have the carboys completely covered with towels so no UV can get through to the beer. Early in primary, I actually unscrew the bulb so there's no chance it comes on and skunks the beer.

PS, thanks for the thumbsup. It's all about paying it forward. ;)

^ LOL...I was thinking someone would pick up on that. Yes, although if there's any chance the bulb is coming on, I have the carboys completely covered with towels so no UV can get through to the beer. Early in primary, I actually unscrew the bulb so there's no chance it comes on and skunks the beer.

PS, thanks for the thumbsup. It's all about paying it forward. ;)

I may be wrong, but I dont think small amounts of time with an incandescent bulb will do any harm. You need to watch out for florescent, CFL, and LED lights though.

Someone correct me if I am wrong though. This is just something I heard.

I may be wrong, but I dont think small amounts of time with an incandescent bulb will do any harm. You need to watch out for florescent, CFL, and LED lights though.

Someone correct me if I am wrong though. This is just something I heard.

I'm not sure myself. I swear one time I forgot to cover an IPA in a carboy and the light skunked it, but I mentioned it here and someone more experienced then me (at the time) said it was unlikely to have caused that.

I keep em covered just in case. Seems the more conservative route to take...

BTW, I myself am a diehard, finfan. Looking forward to seeing what can happen next season when we don't have a clusterf$%k of an OL and don't give up 58 sacks...with Lazor running the Offense. ;)

Care to share your recipe? Love that beer.

I bottled my Lamebic and Berliner Weisse tonight. Right now, it's just a Sour Stout, Arrogant Bastard clone, and Spruce Brown. The latter two will get bottled by the weekend. But I'll be filling three more fermenters this weekend, and then that's it for a couple months.

Sorry to be slow replying. I am what I call a hybrid BIAB brewer. And I do double batches and start at about 13.5 gallons. Here is the recipe in Brewtoad, it's not complete really, but you will get the idea:

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/bluebird-21

8 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lb. Crystal 30
7 lbs Pilsen DME

6ozs challenger hops pellets

Wyeast West Yorkshire 1469 in one fermenter and Nottingham Ale in the other.

I really like Coniston Bluebird too. I don't really nail it, but I like what I make.

I think the crystal should maybe come down a bit and I think I am slightly overhopped.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sorry to be slow replying. I am what I call a hybrid BIAB brewer. And I do double batches and start at about 13.5 gallons. Here is the recipe in Brewtoad, it's not complete really, but you will get the idea:

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/bluebird-21

8 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lb. Crystal 30
7 lbs Pilsen DME

6ozs challenger hops pellets

Wyeast West Yorkshire 1469 in one fermenter and Nottingham Ale in the other.

I really like Coniston Bluebird too. I don't really nail it, but I like what I make.

I think the crystal should maybe come down a bit and I think I am slightly overhopped.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Cheers. Thanks for sharing. Seems to jive about with what I'd expect.

10 gallons RR Supplication @ 14 months.

6 gallons Flanders Red @ 14 months.

10 gallons of RR Consecration @ 6 months.

5 gallons of Heineken clone. Goes in the keg tomorrow.

5 gallons of Allagash Curieux clone.

10 gallons of APA split between Bells yeast and San Diego Super.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

5 gallons of saison

1/2 gallon saison "dry peppered" with a pinch of a mixture of dried scorpion, ghost and chocolate habanero peppers

5 gallons of black IPA

2 gallons of black IPA that was made from what was left in the mash tun in the morning from the initial batch

5 gallons of a cervesa kit from northern brewer

I created something I call a strong black hybrid.

It's something like a black hoppy cream ale with the taste of an amber, or at least that's what I'm after. Here's my recipe:

6 gal partial mash

4.5 lbs pilsen LME (FO)
2.75 lbs 2-row
1 lb crystal 20
1 lb brown sugar (FO)
.75 lb midnight wheat
.5 lb crystal 80
.5 lb white soft wheat berries
6 oz carafoam
.25 lb carafa I special
.25 lb chocolate 350
.2 oz Cluster/Mt Hood/Perle/Liberty @ 60 mins
.4 oz Cluster/Mt Hood/Perle/Liberty @ 20/5 mins
US-05

1.061/1.012
6.4% ABV
37 IBU's
38 SRM
~73% efficiency

Carboy #1 - EdWorts -Apfelwein - (In the aging stage)
Carboy #2 - Dundalk Irish Heavy - (Followed the NB recipe, had most of the ingredients)
Bucket #1 - A Tweaked True Brew Pilsner kit. (Lagering it starting tomorrow. Used proper lager yeast, not the crappy Muntons)
Bucket #2 - Nothing!

Up Next: Oktoberfest (Cause it's never to soon to make your Oktoberfest beer)
1 Gallon American Wheat (Test)
5 Gallons of Munich Helles (1st 5 gallon all-grain batch)

In Bottles: Kolsch, Zombie Slayer IIPA, Everyday IPA.

Nothing :( just started new gig and fishing season hasn't started into full swing yet. But pay is due in a week and a half and I'm having a serious brew day. Gonna fill 2 buckets and a carboy. He'll mabey ill even split a batch so I can use my two 3 gallon carboys

10 gallons RR Supplication @ 14 months.

6 gallons Flanders Red @ 14 months.

10 gallons of RR Consecration @ 6 months.

5 gallons of Heineken clone. Goes in the keg tomorrow.

5 gallons of Allagash Curieux clone.

10 gallons of APA split between Bells yeast and San Diego Super.

Those beers are in primary for that long?!

5 gallons Citra Pale Ale
5 gallons Best maltz pils base malt brew for home brew class
2x 2.5 gallons Hop2It fermenting at diff temps for home brew class

Oh I got confused cause the thread is what is in fermenter. After that long In primary I'd think there would e cannibal zombie yeast

You'd be right about that yeast! But the souring bugs don't have the same autolysis concerns as saccharomyces cerevisiae.

And just so that I don't get too far from the theme of this thread, here's what I've got fermenting right now (the big fermentors are empty, sadly):
-2 gallons of my rye stout, which I have oh-so-cleverly dubbed a drye stout
-1 gallon Red X / Huell Melon SMaSH
-1 gallon BestMalz Heidelberger / Mandarina Bavaria SMaSH
-1 gallon Golden Promise / Exp 7270 SMaSH

Back