Beer pours fast from the tap...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin0782

Reaction score
Alright, so whenever I tap out a glass of my delicious homebrew, the beer seems to pour very quickly and it looks like there is something obstructing the flow that it has to travel around, like a bubble of air. If I close the tap, and then start pouring again, the bubble comes out and the beer pours normally.

Any thoughts on this at all? I hope I explained it well enough and don't sound like an idiot. Pressure is at 7 PSI right now. It's not overcarbed or anything, quite soft actually. I did pump in CO2 at 25 PSI and rolled it around for about 3 minutes when I first kegged the beer, then let it sit for about 4 or 5 days at 8 PSI before tapping. Not sure if that's even pertinent, I don't see how it would be. It's not a particularly huge deal, but slightly annoying since it causes excessive foam if I don't close and reopen the tap... Where the heck is this air bubble coming from?

not to sound like a jerk but did you look in the faucet real good to see if there was anything that could possibly obstruct it. just wondering if maybe a piece of the faucet broke off and is blocking the flow when you first start your pour

The hose is 5 feet. It's Bevlex 200 by Kuriyama [NSF-51]. I took apart the faucet tonight, cleaned it and put it back together, so I don't think anything is broken on it...

I have that happen with my faucets from time to time, both with the cheaper style faucets and Perlicks. It's just an air pocket, but sometimes it does tend to cause some excessive splashing. When I notice it, I do the exact thing you said you do; pump the handle off and on again. That seems to get rid of the air pocket.

It's the same thing that happens with the faucet in your kitchen sink (or bathroom, or whatever), if you have ever paid attention to it. Sometimes they will have an air bubble right at the tip of the faucet, and all the water is splashing around it. All that's needed is a little touch on the air bubble (or some other disturbance, like turning the flow off and on again) and the water starts flowing fine.

Latest posts

Back