Looking for an IPA recipe with some "dank"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Getting a bit tired of the bright, citrus hops in my IPA's. Would like something with some real "dank" as I've heard it described. Something that brings to mine the Pacific Northwest, lush damp forest sort of thing. Resiny?

I'm assuming Columbus is the hop to get this done?

If you can manage to find Hercules hops, those are nasty. had to get mine from a Brewery.

Tried Magnums this weekend. They were pretty sticky but not like the Hercules. Stacking Amarillo and Simcoe in the end is a nice change from the Cs.

No Hercules, but I have the following in bulk:

Columbus
Centennial
Amarillo
Cascade
Simcoe
Willamette
Citra
Nugget
Northern Brewer

For a NW IPA, I target this Ale. It is a NW IPA.

Organic Hopworks IPA

Our namesake IPA is a Northwest classic. Generous additions of Amarillo, Centennial, and Cascade hops find their way into the kettle, hop-back, and dry-hop. This judicious use of the “brewers spice” creates rich and resinous flavors of citrus fruit and pine. The finest organic Canadian pilsner malt and organic Munich and Caramel malts then bring balance to your new favorite beer.

6.6% ABV

15 Degrees Plato OG

75 IBU

Never tried Breakside. If forced to buy one I go with a bottle of HUB. Locally, I dig Tony's IPA from Boneyard.

Care to describe the flavor?

hhhhmmm...Its hard to describe. The bitter is solid and perhaps a little harsh, but that is because my Columbus is 16% AA. The flavor itself is this somewhat musty flavor/aroma. I would consider it something like "forest floor" and forgive the unflattering terms, but "cat urine". I have always thought of columbus like a darker/heavier simcoe. Not quite as bright, just a little more musty.

Columbus
Centennial
Amarillo
Cascade
Simcoe
Willamette
Citra
Nugget
Northern Brewer

If you're looking for resinous, earthy, or piney hops you have a good selection. Chinook is good too, though may be a bit citrus-y for you. (Also, not 100% sure what "dank" would entail specifically other than delicious)

But for the other characteristics I mentioned, I would use Columbus and Centennial for bittering, Simcoe can give a bit of a piney taste to it, and use Willamette, Northern Brewer, or both for a more earthy, woody taste to it. That's my two-cents anyway.

This is the hop schedule for my RyePA which I would definitely describe as hoppy dank.

0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.1 IBU
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (45 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (45 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (Dry-Hop) Hops -

Great bitter to it, flavor is earthy, piney, and "dank", aroma is danktastic with a hint of citrus. Most awesome.

This is the hop schedule for my RyePA which I would definitely describe as hoppy dank.

0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.1 IBU
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (45 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (45 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (Dry-Hop) Hops -

Great bitter to it, flavor is earthy, piney, and "dank", aroma is danktastic with a hint of citrus. Most awesome.

Man, that looks great.. I might just steal that for an IPA.

I think I'm going to brew the Can You Brew It clone of Green Flash West Coast IPA.

To me, Summit is dank, as is Nugget. I might include Simcoe in there as well.

Hold the phone people!

I made the BEST "dank" ipa IMO. What you need is a crapload of FUGGLES and a bit of willamette, and you will have what you are looking for. Chinook would likely be a good addition to that, but I have not tried it.

Try it, you will not be dissapointed. Just use Fuggles as your primary flavor/aroma hop, with like a 2/1 aplit with willamette - use a tried and true recipe that uses citrusy hops and just replace them with these hops.

BendBrewer have you had Breakside IPA? In my googling, it sounds like this is a great beer. I emailed the brewery to see if they would share the recipe ;)

Just found the Green Flash West Coast IPA clone which looks like it might fit the bill too.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-green-flash-west-coast-ipa-175363/index2.html

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/489

I recently made this with some slight variations. Was good, has a similar hop profile but didn't quite have the bite that true green flash has.

+1 chinook, it's one of my favourites. Maybe do an arrogant bastard clone? I did the recipe on here and it turns out great.

So just an update. Been drinking my Green Flash clone and it's unbelievable. Best IPA I have made to date. Still though, some nice Dank, but leaning towards the bright/citrusy side a bit.

With the hops you listed, I'd go with the Northern, Nugget, and Simcoe blend to get a resinous and earthy IPA.

What grains are you going to use? Aromatic or biscuit malt (5%-10%) will help accentuate these flavors. Also, a pound of rye could enhance the earthiness.

So just an update. Been drinking my Green Flash clone and it's unbelievable. Best IPA I have made to date. Still though, some nice Dank, but leaning towards the bright/citrusy side a bit.

While I'm not familiar with Green Flash IPA, I noticed in your signature that it's labelled as a "West Coast IPA." That's almost synonymous with citrus hop flavor.

I've always gotten good use out of Chinook and Simcoe for the piney and cannabis character it sounds like you're looking for.

THIS!

Modus hoperandi from SKA has the dank...it's Columbus laden. I just had some Sam Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed, the Zeus version IPA in there is uber dank...Zeus is similar, if not identical, to Columbus.

Bitter with something clean or Columbus and load the back end of the boil or flameout with Columbus and you will probably have your dankitty-dank. I'm brewing a 10 gallon IPA with at least 3oz of Columbus at flameout/whirlpool.

Dugana IIPA from Avery is pretty dank/resinous and it's centennial/chinook/columbus.

From their website:
A brutally bitter, dank, piney and resinous ale designed for those seeking a divine hop experience.

Columbus
Centennial
Amarillo
Cascade
Simcoe
Willamette
Citra
Nugget
Northern Brewer

I've noticed the columbus and simcoe to be rather danky. Nuggets give a great pungent earthy aroma and flavor.
I brewed an IPA on monday using columbus, nugget, Amarillo and willamette along with a couple others not on your list and the wort tasted danky and the smells coming from the fermenter smell like good chronic. :rockin:

Recently brewed "The Dank" for a brew contest with a couple buddies. Turned out Dankelicious! Nothing says dank like late Columbus additions.

Here's the "Dank"

10 lbs American 2 row
2 lbs Maris Otter
8 oz 60L
8 oz Red Wheat
mashed at 149 F for 60 min

60 min-.5 oz Columbus, .5 Centennial
10 min- .5 oz Columbus, .5 Centennial
5 min- 3 oz Centennial
1 min- 2 oz Columbus
Dry(7 days)- 1 oz Columbus, 1 oz Cascade

US-05
Whirfloc

You can view the contest thread here- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/my-spring-ipa-challenge-229307/index2.html

I've been looking for a thread like this. I've always been a fan of the dank aroma of Ruination. I believe that its Magnum for bittering and straight Centennials from then on.

"The Dank" just might be my next brew... gotta love those late additions!

Anyone else have a good chronic ipa recipe?

I'm still very new to the homebrew scene, but I've been working a 'dank' IIPA recently and here is what I ended up making 2 weeks ago. Just transferred from primary to secondary last night it is coming along nicely. I've only done 4 previous batches, and they were okay, but this one is a home run. I was going to dry hop it with some more Summit/Citra, but I honestly think it has enough as is.

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L Late
75% 12 0 Pale Malt (Maris Otter) 37 3 ~
6% 1 0 Sugar, Table (Sucrose) 46 1 Y
6% 1 0 Munich Malt - 10L 35 10 ~
5% 0 12 Briess Amber DME 43 5 ~
3% 0 8 Golden Promise 32 2 ~
2% 0 6 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 34 40 ~
2% 0 6 Cara-Pils/Dextrine 33 2 ~
Batch size: 4.8 gallons

Original Gravity
1.083 / 20.0° Plato
(1.074 to 1.087)
Final Gravity
1.017 / 4.3° Plato
(1.015 to 1.019)
Color
9° SRM / 18° EBC
(Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency
60%

hops
use time oz variety form aa
first wort 90+ mins 0.5 Columbus pellet 13.9
first wort 90+ mins 0.5 Summit pellet 16.3
boil 25 mins 1.0 Columbus pellet 13.9
boil 15 mins 0.5 Columbus pellet 13.9
boil 15 mins 0.5 Summit pellet 16.3
boil 5 mins 1.0 Columbus pellet 13.9
boil 5 mins 1.0 Summit pellet 16.3
boil 1 min 1.0 Citra leaf 11.0
boil 1 min 1.0 Summit pellet 16.3
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Citra leaf 11.0
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Summit pellet 16.3
Boil: 5.5 avg gallons for 90 minutes

Bitterness
143.5 IBU / 15 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
NOTE: IBU results higher due to late boil additions
BU:GU

yeast
White Labs California Ale (WLP001)
ale yeast in liquid form with medium flocculation and 79% attenuation

Alcohol
8.8% ABV / 7% ABW
Calories
272 per 12 oz.

misc
use time amount ingredient
boil 5 min 1 tsp Irish Moss

Just sampled this ^^ over the weekend at 1 week in the bottle and I think I found a name for it. Enamel Stripper. Holy F'ing Cow this is a danky beer. I ended up dry hopping the extra Citra and Summit and the aroma can be smelled by the neighbors. Still pretty green and needs to mellow a bit, but it is an ass kicker so far. And the estimated ABV has to be way low, one bomber of this and I almost needed to take a knee.

If I had to go dank, I would go with columbus and summit with maybe a little simcoe thrown in

I've got an IIPA that I'm about to dryhop with that exact combination :). 3oz each hop between the boil and dry hop for 5 gallons :ban:

I was also really hunting for a nice dank flavor because I've been doing a lot of citrusy, bright IPAs lately. I love 'em, but it's time for a bit of a mix-up. I'm calling it the "Dirty Double IPA."

I would go nugget. I accidently subbed nugget for centennial in a recent APA dryhop. Boy was that pleasant danky surprise.

Have you tried Oskar Blues G'Knight (previously Gordon Ale)? This beer has a nice resiny hop nose and character. As you mentioned this achieved with Columbus hops. There is a big charge of Columbus with 10 minutes left in the boil. There is an excellent podcast with recipe at http:// thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/535. Give it a listen, you won't be disappointed.

I put in votes for Chinook and Nugget as well.
I've made a couple of Chinook-heavy beers that have a nice dirty, hoppy flavour and aroma.
I've never actually used Nugget, but the Green Flash Imperial IPA uses lots, and it's beautifully dank and hoppy.

Fuggles do give a lovely earthy flavour and aroma too, though I reckon they're not quite what you'd be after for an American IPA.

not trying to derail, but I found this thread very ineteresting. i'm looking to make an IPA, and these are the hops I have:
citra
centennial
willamette
northern brewer
saaz
hallertauer
ekg

any suggestions on an interesting combination?? doesn't have to be dank, just good and hoppy

Back