Steeping and Munich Malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action Jack

Reaction score
Ok so I'm hooked on this homebrewing and trying to understand the process a bit better. Last weekend I conducted my second extract brew, a dark porter from one of my friends recipes. The recipe called for 1 lb of munich malt and 3/4 lb Special B (250 L) to be steeped for 30 minutes starting with a temp of 165 degrees.

So when I get to Larry's Brewing Supply I have to make a couple of decisions. I'm told they have two types of Munich so I choose the gambrinus dark munich malt. They were out of the Special B so they suggested Briess 120 crystal as a replacement.

Ok so I was planning on bringing the 2 gallons of water up to 165 but reached 168.1 per my digital thermometer and I added the ground grains in the steeping bag and covered the pot for 30 minutes. Once the 30 minutes was up I measured the water temp again and it was already down to 138. I then strained the grain with a pot of 165 degree water and wrenched the excess water out of the grain bag.

On page 124 of How to Brew by John Palmer it lists munich malt as a kilned malt and needing to be mashed. My question now, did I screw up by using Munich malt in this recipe by steeping it? Or am I just confusing myself, which is highly probable? I'm still slightly fuzzy on this mashing vs steeping.

On a sidenote I had to go out and buy a 2nd carboy because while the porter is fermenting I plan on brewing an amber ale tomorrow.

It is true that Munich is a base malt that needs to be mashed. You could have easily mash it but you wouldn't want to use 2 gallons for two pounds of malt. I'd use 1 gallon and hold it at about 155F for 45 minutes. With the process you listed, it's likely that you've added a bit of starch to the brew but it's probably not going to cause any trouble other than a little haze that will be hard to see in a dark beer anyway.

Thank you Bobby, so does my Munich malt contribute anything good in this recipe at all since it wasn't mashed or it just a waste of grain to use it without mashing?

You probably got a very small amount of fermentable sugar, maybe some dextrins and almost certainly some unconverted starch.

Larrys is a great shop! Also my lhbs.

Latest posts

Back