Looking for cider press reviews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciderfan

Reaction score
My husband has wanted to build a cider press for a LONG time, but I know that with the farm and all it is just not going to happen. So for his birthday I want to get him one, but am LOST to know where to begin...so many claiming to be the best. I have tried to find people's previous comments about various presses, etc. but have been unable to. Is there a place where reviews are posted? I know there are lots of differing opinions out there, but I hate to make a completely uninformed choice - I don't want to end up with junk, or overpaying. I have looked on line for reviews and educationally-oriented material, but can not find it. Can anyone help me? I really want to make my sweetie happy! Thanks!

IMHO, you get what you pay for. I just returned the one I got from Cabela's. Lots of good qualities, just bad stuff used to make it and assemble it. I only pressed 25 gallons of fresh cider, and 20 gallons of apple/crabapple wine, and I wore out the one from Cabela's. For $235 that should have lasted a lifetime, in my book. I guess I was wrong.

I have seen the ones at Midwest Supply that look pretty nice, but have a high price tag.

I have started the planning stage to build my own press, that will do a much better job pressing apples, and such, for cider and wine.

I'm not sure what else to tell you, but if you really want to buy him one, it's not going to be cheap!!!!

I think that most of the presses built nowadays are more for looks - specifically, they are made to look old and "antiquey" and aren't going to give you very high yields.

There is a guy somewhere out in the Northwest selling some nice looking presses on eBay that are made mostly of stainless steel.... I would look into one of those. Happy Valley Ranch cider presses get pretty good reviews, but I don't have any experience with them and they are rather pricey. Jaffrey is another well known maker of presses, again very pricey.

Back