North Coast Old Stock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
I am begging the community on hands and knees.....is there a recipe for this beer out there? i spent all day looking for one, and all there is are sketchy extract clones. I prefer all grain, but if it comes down to extract, whatayagunnado?

I enjoy Old Stock as well. I came up with a recipe that is really close, IMO. I have brewed this 3 times now, tweaking each time and have settled on this recipe. If I changed anything next time I brewed this, I might add a .50lb - 1lb of brown sugar to the boil and wlp007 for yeast.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.82 gal
Estimated OG: 1.100 SG
Estimated Color: 19.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
18.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 92.21 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3.90 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.60%
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.30 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.3 IBU
2.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
2.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash In 150F - 152.0 F until conversion (75min)

would you recommend a FWH for this recipe? i want some hop complexity to it, but dont want to sacrifice the emphasis on yeastworks done on the overall impression.

@ Xainq

How long are you letting this beer sit back?

Recipe looks good I will have to try it.

would you recommend a FWH for this recipe? i want some hop complexity to it, but dont want to sacrifice the emphasis on yeastworks done on the overall impression.

Glad you brought this up. I have considered doing a FWH when I re-brew this in a couple weeks. I'm also looking at dry hopping it this time around. I might be splitting a 6.5gal batch so I can try WLP013 (slurry almost ready from a mild ale) & WLP023.

@ Xainq

How long are you letting this beer sit back?

Recipe looks good I will have to try it.

Short answer, its about 4 to 5 months before I really start drinking it.

I just primary for 6 weeks, cold crash it for an additional week. Then transfer to a keg to force carb and keep it in the chest freezer for a couple of months (trying my best not to drink it). This time around I will bottle fill enough to lay down for a year or so.

Also, after the first couple of weeks in primary I will rouse the fermenter gently, once or twice a week, to ensure the yeasties do their thing getting the final gravity down.

A little necro-posting here... but are there any updates on this recipe? I'm buying all the grains for this one right now to do a double batch. Curious if any is left that anyone has let age, and if so, does it age like the original Old Stock?

Yup screwed this one up somewhat. Went to rack my Pliny clone of of the dry hops and found that my dry hops weren't there.... Found em in my friend's Old Stock Ale Clone right next to it, arrrgggghhhhh. I could care less if it were mine, but my friend was so stoked for this one, damn.

Latest posts

Back