Dark malt reco for black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrenum

Reaction score
Will be brewing my first black ipa this week-end and i was wondering if you can provide some suggestions on which dark malt to use. I want more than the color; would like to get a bit of acidity from the grain. Any reco?

terrenum said:
Will be brewing my first black ipa this week-end and i was wondering if you can provide some suggestions on which dark malt to use. I want more than the color; would like to get a bit of acidity from the grain. Any reco?

Never done it myself but people say Carafa III debittered huskless malt or Sinimar Extract.

Midnight wheat! I did one with this and if you closed your eyes you would never know it was dark. I actually asked a couple friends to close their eyes before I poured it for them and they were shocked.

If you like the sharpness, Hugh Baird Black Patent
If you prefer more smoothness Breiss Black Prinz

Thanks. The best black IPA I ever drank had a coffee flavour and a bitterness as well. Do you know what grain could bring this out?

I would recommend either the Carafa II or Midnight Wheat. A trick I use is to only add the darkest grains at vorlauf and the sparge. You get all of the color but little to no roastiness.

I would recommend either the Carafa II or Midnight Wheat. A trick I use is to only add the darkest grains at vorlauf and the sparge. You get all of the color but little to no roastiness.

sounds like that's what he does not want...

small amounts of chocolate (or dark chocolate) malt will get you coffee notes. This is what I did recently: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/midnight-cda-349093/

It has the flavor profile you're describing, for my preference I went a little light on the aroma, will dry hop it next time.

Thank you all for your help. Finally brewed the black ipa recipe from the latest brew your own magazine. It calls for carafa i, chocolate malt, caramel 120, caramel 80....

Back