Can I use this with an airlock instead of a blowoff tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen lots of pics in the forums where folks have stuck plastic airlocks in the center "hole" of carboy caps...

images

Cheers!

I put an airlock in the middle and a temp probe down the side.

I flamed the airlock to taper the end.

Mine don't make the best seal, so don't freak out if you don't see airlock bubbles.

I put an airlock in the middle and a temp probe down the side.

I do the same with air lock or blowoff tube on the middle one and a temp probe on the side one.
I also use a zip tie to make sure there are no leaks when the fermentation is really active.

LOL! This thread is hilarious to me. I've been using these orange caps for 20 years with an airlock in the center hole and a blow off tube on the smaller hole. (obviously not at the same time). This is what they're designed for! I don't know why you'd use anything else.

SpeedYellow said:
LOL! This thread is hilarious to me. I've been using these orange caps for 20 years with an airlock in the center hole and a blow off tube on the smaller hole. (obviously not at the same time). This is what they're designed for! I don't know why you'd use anything else.

This is exactly how I do it as well

I use the caps for blowoff by running tubes to a bottle of Starsan. But when done I swap them out for an airlock. For sanitation I just spray with Starsan when swapping. Has worked great so far.

On word of caution if you haven't used those caps. They don't always fit so well. This isn't a big deal for active fermentation when everything is pushing outwards but when things slow down you might not get a tight seal. Especially with Better Bottle carboys.

Back