Best Chinook sub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to do the byo clone for Ranger IPA and chinook is the bittering hop. I have nugget, willamette, northern brewer, Columbus and many more. Which is the best sub?

out of those, I would use columbus....

I assume you are using simcoe at 30 and cascade for flameout and dry hopping....along with a good percentage of sugar?

Columbus would be my choice, with the same AA I doubt you would know the difference with most of the bittering hops in a hoppy IPA.

Columbus it is. I'll adjust the bu's in beersmith. I was going to just use nugget but I love Ranger so I'd like it to be close

The most important part will be getting the flavor and aroma hops correct, and also the dry finish. They claim to use a neutral yeast strain in additon to 2# table sugar for a five gallon batch.

Definitely Nugget over Columbus. Don't think Columbus is even in the same ball park. I do a Chinook IPA and cut/replace with Nugget when low on the Chinook. Very similar...

Back