First post here and..."critique my recipe" ask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shpngld

Reaction score
Hi there!
This is my first post here and I am glad i can visit homebrewtalk :)
A lot of knowledgable guys here, I am lurking for some time (a few months) and find out that you are very pleasent source of brew knowledge...and i like your style:) Thanks!!!
I have tried something real simple, using general info on homebrewery. Generally i used Russian sources in the Web, which i feel are closer in traditional customs to my culture (Black Sea is our east border, Bulgaria it is).
In short the recipe i have used is like this
( I dont have "local homebrew shop", here in the capital of Sofia,so I am using everything possible from one of the city's agricultural (country) marketplaces with a lot of private farmers and resellers of organic stock)

oh well the recipe:
1kg of unmalted barley (2 or 6 row I dont really know, iam not sure that even the seller knows..the price is like 0,75 EU/kg) was steeped in (cold-12deg.C.) water for 20 hours than strained and washed with fresh water, left for another 12h on a sheet, than put again in water for another 12h and i do it until the 4th day, then I just leave the barley on a sheet and mix it every day a least once.
When the grains grew enough their roots form "clumps"with each other, it is OK to dry it, i do that for some days at room temp (21deg C) or in kitchen stove at 60deg C with often stirring until the roots start to crumble ( the barley is whole; with its shell) than i just mix 1kg of that dry "pale malt" (pale right?) with half of kilo of raw, unmalted barley; the mix of malt and raw barley will be Coarsely(!) crushed using some kind of Kitchen robot (diff blades and so). The mix of coarsely crushed grain is mashed using triple decoction mashing tech (the same as in brew Wiki. and the wort is reduced until 6 liters; the (wild) hops used (30grams)was not boiled but steeped in hot water and added to the wort just after boiling to reduce its volume. Left overnight to coolin covered vessel.
The Original Gravity (here we use degrees Plato) was like 7deg :confused:(1028?) P
The innoculation was with wild yeast starter (some malt, sugar,water and hops left for a few days in dark outside) and its volume was at least 200ml
The PH was 4,4-4,8 at time of innoculation
Every few days I added white sugar to the wort until it hits 13 deg. P:D. but i did it carefully not to Stuck the fermentation (rised the SG with 2 deg Plato every 4 days. The first week of fermenting was full of aeration (twice daily). I used no airlock but a tinfoil over the carboy with 1 hole only in the center.
The room temp was between 12 and 18 degrees celcius
at the time of innoculation it was 16 degreees, the wort temp was 30 deg C (yeah hot i know ). For the first 3-4 days there wher NO signs of fermentation but after that It Begun...
Well everything was wuite vigorous until 3days ago when i decided that all is settled (SG-1deg P)to bottle all 5,5liters and 500ml for Testing purposes), the SG was 1deg. plato, no priming sugar used..just carefully decanted in 1liter bottles screwcap (PET) from commecial Beer, Now it is "Lagering" at 15 deg celcius in dark
Please critique my recipe
..or just say what do u think of it :)
Iv.:fro:

Holy Crap! I commend you sir. You may find more information in other threads dealing with kilning your own malt and using wild yeasts than the beginners forum. That's it, I was just impressed. Oh and welcome.

Back