Does Cal Common Need a Diacetyl Rest???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RecruitNBrew

Reaction score
I've been fermenting my Cal Common at 58 degrees for about 2.5 weeks in primary and I'm almost at the target FG (It's at 1.018 and the target is 1.012. I'm not going to transfer to secondary on this one.). One other thing to mention is that I pitched the yeast around 72-75 degrees.

Is it necessary or beneficial to do a 1-2 day diacetyl rest??
If so, what should I raise the temp to?

Thanks!

Humm....I thought the whole reason for California Common being a hybrid style was that you were fermenting a lager as an ale. If you start getting colder temps and try to do a diacetyl rest, then it will wind up being more like a lager. Choice is yours since this particular style is not set in stone....but I do like treating my Calis more like ales.

I wouldn't concern myself with a diacetyl rest. When it's done fermenting, just give it a 2-4 week conditioning at or near 50F...

You've pretty much done everything right so far. My personal preference for a Cali-common is to do the conditioning in a secondary...

It never hurts to warm it up at the end. Since you pitched warm there is a chance that some diacetyl will be present.

I had some diacetyl when using White Lab's California lager yeast. I'm using Wyeast's yeast this time, and I'll see what I get, it's on day 8 in the primary at 60 degrees.

I had some diacetyl when using White Lab's California lager yeast. I'm using Wyeast's yeast this time, and I'll see what I get, it's on day 8 in the primary at 60 degrees.
My Cal Common is on day 8 of a 60F Wyeast ferment as well...mysterious.

I am using the Wyeast (Cal Lager) as well, so please report back with your findings. Thanks!

Back