Fermenting in carboy - rack or funnel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glanville

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a super basic question....

I'm trying a Belgian Wit and everyone has told me not to use a secondary fermenter...

I would like to use the carboy as my primary fermenter so that I can get another batch going in the Ale Pail.... on my previous batches i just dumped everything into the bucket.

Do I pour my freshly cooled wort into the bucket and then rack to the carboy right away? Or should I just pour it via funnel into the carboy? Is there a reason to avoid splashing the wort around?

Thanks!

After cooling pour the wort directly into the fermenter with the funnel. You want it to splash to put oxygen back into the wort that was lost during boil so the yeast can thrive. This is the one time you do want to add oxygen.

Same problem. Seeing most people say don't worry about secondary. I have a carboy that I would like to be able to just do a batch in. Two batches means twice the beer. :tank:

Yep, no need to worry about a secondary. You can pour it straight into the carboy with the funnel, and splash away. Most people purposely splash and then shake or swirl the carboy which gets oxygen back into the wort that was driven off during boiling. They yeast colony needs oxygen during it's reproductive phase it will go through before fermentation begins.

I have all carboys, no need to use a bucket then rack. I would be worried about sanitation at that point. Just spray a funnel with sanitizer and pour directly into the carboy. Then cover it and shake the snot out of it for a few mins to aerate.

One thing to consider is the size of the carboy. Most kits include a 6 1/2 gallon bucket and a 5 gallon carboy. If it is a 5 gallon carboy you will want to reduce the size of the recipe or you possibly have massive blow off.

I have a couple of 5 gallon carboys that I use as a primary, but I scale the recipes down to 4 gallons.

beergolf said:
One thing to consider is the size of the carboy. Most kits include a 6 1/2 gallon bucket and a 5 gallon carboy. If it is a 5 gallon carboy you will want to reduce the size of the recipe or you possibly have massive blow off.

I have a couple of 5 gallon carboys that I use as a primary, but I scale the recipes down to 4 gallons.

Touché good sir, I forgot to mention I run 6.5 gal carboys. You could run 5gal carboys with a blowoff but I don't have the stones to try it. That could make for a bug mess even with a blowoff.

Oh i have a 5 gallon carboy. guess i'll just go with the bucket

Back