Rice hull absorption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
Hello,

Is Rice Hull absorption the same as grain?

I usually figure .1 gal / lb for grain.

Thanks,

Rick

Not even close. Most absorbtion in the mash is from the grain. The husk absorbs next to nothing. I personally don't worry about it but others will presoak their ricehulls before throwing them in the mash tun to circumvent any absorbtion issues.

I did.

Does anyone know if beersmith calculates absorbtion for rice hulls? If so I might just exclude it from the grain bill.

heckels said:
Not even close. Most absorbtion in the mash is from the grain. The husk absorbs next to nothing. I personally don't worry about it but others will presoak their ricehulls before throwing them in the mash tun to circumvent any absorbtion issues.

Thanks for the info.

mjtski said:
I did.

Does anyone know if beersmith calculates absorbtion for rice hulls? If so I might just exclude it from the grain bill.

Good question-- I'll put it in and see if it makes a difference

just soak them in hot water first. then you don't have to account for absorbtion (abdorption, abortion, etc...) or heat loss, and they get that much cleaner.

Back