Greetings From Iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BooRay

Was suggested that I make a quick introduction here.

Been brewing off and on for over 5 years, usually during the fall and winter since, well I do live in Iowa.

Started out like most everyone, extract, steeping grains, partial mash, AG. I like AG Batch sparging cause it was the more simplistic way to get into AG.

My biggest addition to my brewery has been the purchase of kegging equipment and keggerator.

Thats about it

I too am new to the forum and from Iowa (albeit a couple hours East of Booray). I am a total newbie to the world of home brewing, but I have picked up a strong interest in it ever since brewing a couple batches at Rhodell Brewery in Peoria, IL.

Well, I just wanted to say 'hi' and now I'm going to dig through the forums and try to soak up a little bit of brewing knowledge.

Good to have you on board! It's a great site - it sounds like you already know quite a bit but you'll learn a ton here too.

CF, I was checking the link you had on your post and that looks like an awsome place to be brewing some beer.l

I guess if the newbies from Iowa are checking in, I might as well.

I know a guy in the Peoria area that's mentioned that place before. He does that a couple of times a year. He loves the place.

Greetings!!

I live out in the sprawling metropolis of Atkinson, IL, exit 27 on I-80 toward Chicago.

Scimmia: Where are you in the QCA? I work at the arsenal. Do you know about the MUGZ HB Club? Get supplies from the Village?

Welcome to the brothers from the homeland! Originaly from Emmetsburg. :D Glad to have you around.

homebrewer_99 said:
Scimmia: Where are you in the QCA? I work at the arsenal. Do you know about the MUGZ HB Club? Get supplies from the Village?

I'm in NW Davenport, and do get supplies from the Village. I'm just getting started, but I've heard of MUGZ. I've read some info on their website, but haven't been able to get to a meeting or anything yet.

What section are you in at the arsenal? My roommate's dad just retired from there a while ago after MANY years.

I stop by there every once in a while, but mostly get them from Midwestsupplies.com.

I used to get my supplies at Koski's (next to Bent River), but they closed. Tim Koster still works at the arsenal, but I haven't seen him for years. I won the MUGZ HB contest in '97 with Best of Show and Best of Style. ;) :D

I really work for TACOM, not the arsenal. I have under 2 years to go til retirement.

If you ever want to get together and brew sometime just let me know. I have a couple going right now and some ready to bottle/keg.

W: 782-3469.

Welcome to the forum from a former part-time Iowan! (I went to undergrad at Grinnell.)

homebrewer_99 said:
I stop by there every once in a while, but mostly get them from Midwestsupplies.com.

I used to get my supplies at Koski's (next to Bent River), but they closed. Tim Koster still works at the arsenal, but I haven't seen him for years. I won the MUGZ HB contest in '97 with Best of Show and Best of Style. ;) :D

I really work for TACOM, not the arsenal. I have under 2 years to go til retirement.

If you ever want to get together and brew sometime just let me know. I have a couple going right now and some ready to bottle/keg.

W: 782-3469.

Yeah, I've gotten my big stuff from Midwest (equipment kit, etc), but have picked up smaller stuff and some ingredients at CampMC. Gotta support the local place!

As I said, I'm just getting going, still waiting to bottle my first batch! I'd love to learn from someone who knows what they're doing, so be careful or I might take you up on that offer. ;)

Anyone planning on attending the Iowa Beer Festival in Amana Labor Day weekend? I went last year and had a blast tasting a wide variety of brews. Homebrew clubs have their own tent and state breweries are in another. I'm a member of the Burlinton MOB (Makers Of Beer) and we'll have several brews on tap. See ya there?

Hello, Iowa brothers, and everyone else. Another Iowan here. Underwood, IA. About 15 miles from Council Bluffs. All I can say is this site is great! I can't get enough. I can hardly wait to taste my own brew.

Ron

Back