Heater element for RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyAB

Reaction score
I'm putting together my RIMS system and when looking for heater elements I'm having difficulty finding a low density element operating on 120v which is what I want to run it off. There seems to be a lot of choice in 240v. A couple questions:

If running the 240v element in a 120v circuit is the wattage 1/2 or 1/4 of what it would be on 240v? I thought it would be half but I read a few times on different forums that it would be 1/4 of the wattage.

Which wattage of 240v element would work best for 10gal batches? I don't want to overdo it and scorch the wort.

Thanks
Randy

First. Here's the reason why the power is 1/4:

Let's say you have a 240V 3000W element
P=VxI
3000W = 240VxI
I = 12.5A

To get the resistance, then:

V=IxR
240V = 12.5A x R
R=19.2 (this is a constant for the element).

Now, let's run the same element at 120V:

V = IxR
120V = I x 19.2
I = 6.25A (one half of the current draw)

P=VxI
P= 120V x 6.25A (One half the voltage x one half the Current)
P = 750W (1/4 the power at 1/2 the Voltage)

Secondly, I run my RIMS with a 3800W 240V, high density element at 120V. This gives me 950W of power. I do 10gal batches.

I have done extensive calibration and testing with it, and it performs fine for maintaining mash temps throughout the usable temperature range of enzyme activity.

with regards to step mashing:
To go from 120 to 140, takes 20min
140 to 154 takes another 20 min

I don't do step mashes, but if I wanted to decrease the lag time, I have a burner under the MLT.

Regarding scorching:

I brewed 2 consecutive 10gal batches of an American Pilsner. One with recirc and RIMS element, one with an insulated single infusion.

I compared wort colour, final beer clarity, colour, and tried to detect any scorched flavour.

I could not tell the difference between the two batches.

I hope this info helps you in your decision.

Funny, I did a Google search and had no trouble finding one. :confused: Here is the URL: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/elements.html. Google is your friend.

Hey Guy. Thanks for the tip on Google. I never heard of that before is it new? :) Just kidding my friend. I do appreciate your input . The problem is that I'm in Canada and the online shopping SUCKS. Importing from the US easily doubles the cost if you can find a retailer that ships to Canada.

First. Here's the reason why the power is 1/4:

Let's say you have a 240V 3000W element
P=VxI
3000W = 240VxI
I = 12.5A

To get the resistance, then:

V=IxR
240V = 12.5A x R
R=19.2 (this is a constant for the element).

Now, let's run the same element at 120V:

V = IxR
120V = I x 19.2
I = 6.25A (one half of the current draw)

P=VxI
P= 120V x 6.25A (One half the voltage x one half the Current)
P = 750W (1/4 the power at 1/2 the Voltage)

Secondly, I run my RIMS with a 3800W 240V, high density element at 120V. This gives me 950W of power. I do 10gal batches.

I have done extensive calibration and testing with it, and it performs fine for maintaining mash temps throughout the usable temperature range of enzyme activity.

with regards to step mashing:
To go from 120 to 140, takes 20min
140 to 154 takes another 20 min

I don't do step mashes, but if I wanted to decrease the lag time, I have a burner under the MLT.

Regarding scorching:

I brewed 2 consecutive 10gal batches of an American Pilsner. One with recirc and RIMS element, one with an insulated single infusion.

I compared wort colour, final beer clarity, colour, and tried to detect any scorched flavour.

I could not tell the difference between the two batches.

I hope this info helps you in your decision.

Thanks....extremely helpful.

Back