To Pitch Or Not To Pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepherd5

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed an IPA 3 to 4 wks ago, an it is now in the secondary. My OG was between 1.085 and 1.090. Now, the gravity reading is 1.025. Should I pitch more yeast to get it down more? If so, I have a dry packet of Safale US-05 that I want to put in the carboy, but I am wondering if this is a good idea. Do I have to do a starter? Do I have to airate, and how, by shaking, and if so will I risk contamination if it goes nowhere? Please advise!

According to the numbers provided, you've got between 70 and 72% attenuation. Depending on how fermentable your wort is, most yeast will get you 70 to 80% attenuation so you're "within specs". Although pitching more yeast in 8.5% ABV beer might not work out, it won't hurt you're beer and you may get a couple more points down if that's what you want.

I think you've reached the end. Those are pretty acceptable number given the SG. Forcing it further will thin it out and probably produce some heavy alcohol flavors. Aerating it at this point will almost certainly result in off flavors. I say bottle it and let it rest for a month then give it a try.

Latest posts

Back