Sulfite Free Wine Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang_Bobby

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good easy sulfite free wine recipe? I know there is no such thing as sulfite free wine but some that are extremely low in sulfite.

Thanks,

MB

Does anyone have a good easy sulfite free wine recipe? I know there is no such thing as sulfite free wine but some that are extremely low in sulfite.

Thanks,

MB

When you make wine, you don't have to add sulfites at all. So, then you have a non-sulfite-added wine. It's the same as a recipe with sulfites, but they are left out.

We just recently toured a fruit winery. Rhubarb and raspberry wine. They do not use sulphites or any chemicals. They go as far as boiling there bottles for sanitation rather then chemicals. The filter there wine to I think it was 48 microns. Smaller then yeast. This filters the yeast out and then they are even able to back sweeten with no chemical additions.

I make syrah, cab sav and sauv blanc without sulfites, from my own grapes. I am not fussy about sanitation, I use a healthy rehydrated yeast, I pitch MLF culture and I keep my containers topped up to an inch from the top. If you make sure it ferments out within a couple of weeks and keep air away you don't need sulfites, however sulfites are produced by yeast and are harmless in the quantities used in winemaking so it isn't a big deal for me. I just find I don't need them so I don't bother.

A good friend makes some of the best wine that I've had, commercial and/or homemade, he doesn't use sulfites because his wife is allergic to sulfites.
You have done your research, sulfites are produced naturally during the process of making wine, and the best advice that I can give you is this:
You've been making wine without sulfites and you've been successful , you're producing wine for yourself, (the alcohol laws are different in Australia) I have no idea what the laws are for making wine in Australia, but a quick search brought me to distilling equipment, I'd say keep on making wine like you've been, maybe the only thing that I'd change is the " I am not fussy about sanitation", the better that you are with sanitation, the fewer issues you'll have overall.

Thanks,

MB

Different yeast will give lower levels of sulfur and make sure you really aerate the must and shake it up really good. When the yeast doesn't have enough oxygen it makes sulfur.

A good friend makes some of the best wine that I've had, commercial and/or homemade, he doesn't use sulfites because his wife is allergic to sulfites.
You have done your research, sulfites are produced naturally during the process of making wine, and the best advice that I can give you is this:
You've been making wine without sulfites and you've been successful , you're producing wine for yourself, (the alcohol laws are different in Australia) I have no idea what the laws are for making wine in Australia, but a quick search brought me to distilling equipment, I'd say keep on making wine like you've been, maybe the only thing that I'd change is the " I am not fussy about sanitation", the better that you are with sanitation, the fewer issues you'll have overall.

When I say I'm not fussy, I clean every bit of equipment as soon as it is finished use or emptied, I never leave equipment dirty or wet. But I don't wash everything with sanitiser, my grapes never get cleaned, and I use my bare feet and bare hands often when winemaking. Basic cleanliness is essential, but getting obsessed with killing every germ isn't such a great idea.
I don't advise people not to use sulfites, but if someone asks is it possible to make good wine at home without sulfites my answer is yes, but you need to know what you are doing.

Back