Coopers European Lager Kit with Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhumbunctious

Reaction score
I have two cans of Coopers European Lager that I picked up on sale, not realizing they use a true Lager yeast.

I don't have facilities at the moment to maintain the cooler temps needed by a lager yeast, and am wondering what I might end up with if I instead used an ale yeast at around 20-22C.

I have a packet of ale yeast from a basic Coopers Lager kit (the type they include with their homebrew equipment kit) as well as some Wyeast British Ale II liquid yeast and some White Labs Belgian / Saison blend.

Would any of those be worth a go? What kind of results could I expect? I am assuming there is nothing particular about the extract that would absolutely require a lager yeast, but am unsure and don't want to waste any ingredients or my time.

I'm thinking of simply pitching the Coopers ale yeast, making it as if it is a basic Coopers Lager (Ale) kit. Eh?

I'm still fairly new to all of this, only have about 15 batches under my belt, but it sounds like it would be similar to a steam ale. I'm sure there are others more knowledgable about this, but I think it should work out for you. Keep us posted on the results.

Latest posts

Back