2 Carboys in 1st kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two carboys are nice to have if you plan to do a secondary fermentation. However, in most starter kits, you can still do a secondary fermentation by using the bottling bucket as your primary fermenter and then racking to the regular fermenter as a secondary. I'm not sure that it's the greatest idea, but I have done it many times. I have, in the past, had a bottling bucket leak at the spigot, but its probably rare that this happens. If I were you I would get the starter kit and then decide what you need from there...

That starter kit you linked would be fine. You can do your primary ferment in the bucket and then transfer to the carboy for secondary without using the bottling bucket...

I rarely use my carboys any more, because I leave the beer in the primary bucket for about 3-4 weeks and then bottle or keg. I'm going to buy more buckets, and use the carboys just for my wine or for beers that I want to age more. So, I guess my point is that if you plan on using the bucket only for a week or so, and then using the carboys, then two carboys are a good idea for you. I prefer buckets myself.

If it were me I'd get the kit with the two carboys and then maybe add a plastic bucket to your order if you still want one. If you're like me then once you start brewing you will get totally sucked in and eventually need all the "fermenter space" you can get. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Yeah, I ended up collecting 4 carboys so I could do long primary-only fermentations (I like to let them sit for a month) without having to wait for a fermenter to free up before I could brew again. It's nice! :)

Back