Maris Otter vs. English Pale Ale- The Same?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
My LHBS has Maris Otter malt (3.0L) in ten pound bags, but no british pale ale malt. They do have one pound bags of british pale ale malt (3.4L). Is maris otter just a specific variety of pale ale malt? can i use it in a John Palmer recipe that calls for british pale ale malt? what is the difference?

I think Maris Otter is supposed to be the equivalent of pale malt, but is supposed to be the preferred or slightly better quality grain. The no 1 choice for English ales. It's usually slightly more expensive and it may give a more malty taste, but I'm not 100% on that as I'm new to all grain (1 batch in). I don't think you will see a big difference in colour.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but this is my understanding.

either way- sounds like im good

i'm only 1 batch deep into all-grain myself- thats going to change in about two hours

two batches this week- american red w/maris otter and american IPA with 2-row

we ordered 2 pounds of hops direct from a grower- got them for like thirty-something a piece, not bad

Maris Otter is usually English Pale Ale but English Pale Ale is not usually Maris Otter.

English Pale Ale is a malting style. Maris Otter is a barley variety. Most Maris Otter barley is malted as an English Pale Ale and can be used any where you would use an English Pale Ale. However if the malt is labeled English Pale Ale it is using some more generic variety of barley.

Maris Otter barley is said to provide a slightly more biscuity, bready flavor than standard barleys and is prized for its more flavorful taste. It is however lower yielding and that is why you usually have to pay a premium.

I usually use Maris Otter myself as that is what the LHBS has in 50# bags and the price is quite reasonable.

Craig

Just imagine I typed out everything here that Craig (CBBaron) already did.

MO is a great malt and is my go to for pretty much every ale I do.

Malts Chart - Home Brewing Wiki

color is slightly darker on the pale malt- your probably fine using maris otter it will just be different then the recipe.

That Flavours/Characteristics section of the chart is kinda crappy. Some of the malts don't have anything on there. I know there's a better chart somewhere in one of my books. I'm gonna go grab Designing Great Beers by Daniels... :mug:

There have been sooooooo many threads started on this exact topic. And after me asking the question twice and emailing Jamil it has been determined: It depends on the company that makes the malt...i know its a **** answer but that is what it comes down to. +1 to what CBBaron said.I like the description

Latest posts

Back