Blankets To Warm Fermenter Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Never thought I would have this problem but was checking the temps of my Pale Ale that is fermenting in my basement and the temp right now is at exactly 60 degrees. Does anyone know if a small blanket wrapped around the fermenter would warm it up a few degrees to ensure I don't go below 60? I am assuming that it will but I don't want to put the blankets on and then wake up in the morning with the fermenter being 70+. Thanks.

If it is actively fermenting, the internal temp will be slightly higher due to yeast activity. Wrapping a blanket around it will help hold in the generated heat. It has worked fine for me in the past when my basement temp dropped. It will also insulate your fermenter against temp swings and light.:mug:

Well it has only been in the fermenter for about 8 hours so no activity as of yet. I will wrap a couple of blankets around it and wait for it to become active and then maybe just let it be. Thanks.

Yea, I don't remember the temps exactly, but I definitely raised my primary's temp 5-10 degrees by fastening a beach towel around it with an old belt.

I had to wrap a heat pad around my fermenter, then wrap up everything with a small blanket. If temps get too low I just turn the pad on to the low setting and it slowly brings temps up. The blanket helps hold the heat in.

Well I wrapped two blankets around it and it is bubbling away this morning. So it looks like everything is going fine.

Back