Need some quick tips on my yeast washing process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercules1

Reaction score
So I do things a little different than the youtube videos I've seen. I haven't had any "negative" results, but I would like to optimize my yield if possible.

I don't do the whole boiling my mason jars ect.

1) I boil about 1.5 gallons of water on the stove for 15 minutes and put the pot in an ice bath.

2) Spray the inside of the bottles with starsan solution, shake it up, let it sit for a few minutes.

3) Use sanitized funnel to pour chilled water into carboy or keg dependsing what I fermented in

4) Swirl it around to pick everything up off the bottom

5) Transfer into a sanitized bucket with a valve 1inch off the bottom w/ coupler

6) Let sit for 30 minutes and pour off from the valve into 1g sanatized jug. The coupler keeps anything from the bottom pouring off because the coupler extends off the wall of the bucket

7) Let the 1g just sit for 30 minutes and pour off into 4 mason jars. Let them sit for 30 minutes, pour off into two mason jars.

8) Cold crash two mason jars.

9) Decant mason jars, leaving just a little left to swirl and pour them off into a small 8oz jar for easy storage.

My question is... Even after the bucket transfers to the 1g batch, I still have a good layer that forms on the bottom, and then again in the mason jars and then again in the second set. I am tedious to pour off just the suspended yeast water and nothing from the bottom.

Is that stuff on the bottom yeast? Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the yeast and trub?

Back