3RD AG - Problems/Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axegod

Reaction score
Hey,

I did my thrid AG on the weekend and thought I would share some things with the forum.
Well, with weather around the freezing mark - I had problems with getting some of my temps right. I compensated by adding more water into the mash tun. Also, the amount of steam was bothersome.....cold weather+boiling kettle makes checking wort volume a pain.
****For anyone interested in brewing 10 G at once in a sabco kettle - I strongly recommend that the amount you start off with is no more than 12.5 Gallons....other times I went above 13 G- and had boilover problems. 12.5 G was optimal for me.
****Another trick for collecting water to boil from a sink mounted water filter. I used a heavy pitcher and a autosyphon. It worked great....fill up the pitcher, leave the water running, start the syphon, and monitor ever few mins....no more filling a water container one pitcher at a time.
****My best invention was that I had 15 feet of syphon hose that was laying around. I drilled a hole from my garage, into my basement and attached the autosyphon from the kettle on one end to a rubber stopper inside the fermentor on the other end. Syphoned down one level...the splashing provided some decent aeration and no heavy lifting of the cooled wort acrss the living room, and down the stairs !

Cheers.

Back