Help with yeast selection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeJo

Reaction score
Alright...

A friend and I have ground and pressed 300 or so pounds of Mac apples, and about 50 pounds of really nice red crabapples, and we came up with 2 x 23 Liter carboys full, plus a bucket 3/4 full including the residue that had settled into the bottom of the vessel we had filled with the juice, a Liquid Malt container marked on the side as being good for nominally 15US gallons, but we had it fullfullfull to the bung, such that we needed to prop it up sideways a bit to keep from spilling... ...but anyways.....:)

The first carboy has been dosed with EC1118, at the request of the other fellow.

I have decided to use some Wyeast 1388 (harvested dregs from a batch of BOMM, that I had added some apple juice to and tucked away on a shelf) on the bucket with the dregs of the apple juice, and that will be sent to a 3 gallon carboy in due time. Still trying to decide if it becomes graff (Malt extract addition), high-test cider (via dextrose or FAJC, or some of both) or if it will simply be left as is.

The third and final full carboy, I have to decide. I have in hand S-04, Nottingham, Belle Saison, Montrachet, and in the back of the fridge an old pack of Wyeast Belgian High Gravity that may just die there if I don't attempt something with it soon.

What say?

Notty and S-04 both seem to be well regarded. Not found references to Belle Saison use yet, and the Montrachet I had sorta planned to use for a small batch of apfelwein, but I can get more if need be.

The juice was pressed a few days back and dosed with a bit less than a full tablet per gallon of Campden, it has been in cool storage in the shed for four days, IIRC, and I figure that it seemed to have knocked back whatever wild yeasts may have been there as they did not seem to have been active, as there were no pressure or leakage signs on the 15 gal drum.

TeeJo

Man, gotta stop posting from memory!

Had Windsor, not Nottingham in the fridge, along with a nearly dead Trappist High Gravity smack pack.

Restarted the 1388 by decanting off what was in there and adding a liter or so of fresh juice to it, and had a nice crust of yeast foam on the container this morning. Added the whole lot to the pail.

Pitched the S-04 for simplicity sake. Made notes on the side of the carboys with a Sharpie marker. Now, the waiting begins!

TeeJo

Belgian yeast makes some really amazing cider; that is the yeast that is used in Crispin's "The Saint" it has a tiny bit of residual sugar intentionally after the addition of pure maple syrup. SWMBO really loves the stuff, and FWIW so do I.

Yeah, looking forward to seeing what comes of the 1388 batch and whether it is worth repeating.

TeeJo

Belgian yeast makes some really amazing cider; that is the yeast that is used in Crispin's "The Saint" it has a tiny bit of residual sugar intentionally after the addition of pure maple syrup. SWMBO really loves the stuff, and FWIW so do I.

Sorry for thread high jack, but I love The Saint. Any recommendation on where to pick up similar yeast???

Tried a sample off the 1388 batch last night. Nice! This is Mac plus crab apples and is shaping up nicely.

I tried my mystery mix (I foolishly thought I would remember what yeast I used, so didn't write it down) of apple juice and pear juice, and it is drying nicely too.

Going to try the s-04 soon as it settles a bit, it seems to still be working.

Pretty happy with the early results.

TeeJo

The continuing notes....

The bucket with the 1388, has been siphoned off to a carboy, and a couple liters of black cherry juice as well as a top-up of Sun-Rype not from concentrate apple uice to bring the carboy up.

The S-04 batch saw a couple liters of the same juice added to bring the level up to the carboy neck.

The EC1118 batch has started to settle nicely.

The mystery yeast batch may have been 1098 Wyeast, Coopers generic ale yeast, or, well, dunno what else, but whatever it was, it flocculated and settled to the bottom in a mass that looks like cauliflower, all in a flat clump. At various points the whole mass was floating and falling back down in the cider as the carbon dioxide bubbles carried it around. Kind of freaky looking. :) That batch has my pear juice in it and the carboy is only about half full. I figure to bottle that very soon.

TeeJo

Back