Thanksgiving Cider Advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarles

Reaction score
Okay so this year I decided to give a little bit of cider a try.

Going across the back row. then the two in front

1 - 5 gallons fresh pressed cider
2 lbs dark brown sugar
Pitch Wyeast Cider Yeast (4766) on 10/27

2 - 5 gallons fresh pressed cider
2 lbs light brown sugar
Pitch Wyeast Cider Yeast (4766) on 10/27

3 - 5 gallons fresh pressed cider
Pitch Wyeast Belgian Ardennes (3522) on 10/27

4 - 1 gallon of batch 3 racked onto 10oz of mangos and 1/2lb brown sugar

5 - 1 gallon of batch 3 racked onto 10oz of raspberries and 1/4lb brown sugar

Im trying to get something ready for thanksgiving if possible but I know the majority of the people believe you must age out ciders with high OGs to mellow out the harshness of the high alcohol content. I think my best candidate for trying to get something together by thanksgiving would be the 3 gallons left from batch number three. OG was 1.06 as of saturday it was down to 1.016 when i racked it off, But it still does show little activity in the secondary. do you think if I back sweetened a bit and bottled it tomorrow (11/13) and let it carbonate until (11/20). then pasteurized it would i have anything even remotely drinkable by 11/22?

I also have a corny keg with CO2 tank if that opens up a more viable option.
More then welcome to add more photos upon requests.

2012-11-12_17-43-51_10.jpg

In my exp cider is better with age that being said if i make it without extra sugar i have force carbed and drank as soon as its done!When ive added extra sugars ive always had to age it because it tasted like rocket fuel! Ive never pasturized but i have back sweetend with more cider or maple syrup both with good results. Good Luck

Did you wait until it at least clear up? So you keg and force carbonate it? do you back sweeten in the keg?

I think my plan is to rack it once again tonight, let it settle out a few more days. then keg/force carb this weekend and let it cold age until the turkey is ready.

I always use fresh pressed and cold condition to clear everything i ferment but i did rush one and it was seved cloudy i dont think it effected the taste.I force carb to avoid yeasty sedement, i also bottle this way to avoid sedement too . I set it and forget it for 2 weeks but you can also preasure blast it to carb it quicker, ive tried this a couple of times always overcarbing so i dont any more.Yes i back sweeten in the keg and keep them cold so i dont have to pasturize them. I think youll be fine as long as you cant taste the alcohol.It took about 15 monthes aging to mellow out my rocket fuel but after that you could barely even tell there was alchol in it:cross: dangerous!!

Back