Which kind of mug?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeDaddio

Reaction score
I know that there are proper beer glasses for specific types of beers, but I'm looking for a couple of "Brewers Mugs." Sort of special Mugs for me and my brewing partner since, well... we brewed the beer. Everyone else can drink out of random pint glasses :)

Three automatically come to mind... what do you think?

The first is the boot mug. The only thing is that the "small" one is one liter. I would prefer something in the 16 oz range. Even though it's at the bottom of my list, it's a bit kitschy, which keeps it in the runnings.

4106T-tWLFL._SS400_.jpg

The other two are a bit more reasonable. A stainless steel mug:

21CM4IRzagL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or the traditional dimpled mug:

31f3fw1YxNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm leaning towards the dimpled mug, but that SS one is pretty rad as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

joe

I have been looking for an affordable Gambrinus stein to drink out of. There was a .5L one that I found but it was well over 100 bucks.

I like the dimpled mugs yet I dont own any. I have a duvel tulip and a crystal snifter that I use tasting samples or drinking something special, but usually I just use a random pint glass.

I have been looking for an affordable Gambrinus stein to drink out of. There was a .5L one that I found but it was well over 100 bucks.

I like the dimpled mugs yet I dont own any. I have a duvel tulip and a crystal snifter that I use tasting samples or drinking something special, but usually I just use a random pint glass.

My dad was stationed in Germany in the 70's and collected a *bunch* of big steins. I believe they're in a box at my grandmothers house. I'll have to ask him about them. I'm not sure I'd want to use them though.

joe

My dad was stationed in Germany in the 70's and collected a *bunch* of big steins. I believe they're in a box at my grandmothers house. I'll have to ask him about them. I'm not sure I'd want to use them though.

joe

if you were a stein would you want to sit in a box forever or would you want people to enjoy delicious beers out of you?

The SS mug reminds me of one I found from Sheffield,England made of pewter. Since I live in Sheffield,I thought it was cool. It'll keep a beer cold for awhile too.

if you were a stein would you want to sit in a box forever or would you want people to enjoy delicious beers out of you?

You make a good argument... :D

I would like to have them on display when I get my own space. Maybe drink from them. But right now we're brewing beer in my buddies garage. It also gets a bit more complicated as my pops has been sober for 22 years or so.

joe

Have you designed a logo? You could do a cafe press deal and make a couple mugs that would be totally unique and personal.

No logo yet, and no name. I think we're still sort of searching for our brewing identity as we're pretty new still.

joe

Carve yourselves a couple of wooden mugs. It doesn't get any more personal than making it yourself. (Disclaimer: I'd suggest researching types of wood that would work and some way to safely varnish the inside)

I love my drinking horn, it hangs around your neck when not in use, and when in use, there is no setting it down unless you get a fancy stand or a belt frog.

Personally if it is full, I'm drinking, not looking at it so why put it down.

Aaaah yes,my German ancestors. Reminds me of a powder horn. I do love my smoke polls. Might be nice to have one of those to go with it...

I'll have to pay more attention to events like that,in this case. That would be cool to walk into a brew pub with it. "Wench! Fetch me a horn of ale!" Just for old times sake,of course.:D Maybe on the day my ancestors grandpa,Kroeger died...that was in 1684.

Carve yourselves a couple of wooden mugs. It doesn't get any more personal than making it yourself. (Disclaimer: I'd suggest researching types of wood that would work and some way to safely varnish the inside)

A friend of mine back in college had a wooden mug is father made. It was just a hollowed out log that they somehow sealed on the inside. The handle was a stick and was spaced from the mug with small chunks of wood. Really rudimentary but legendary. It held about 1.75 liters and was HEAVY. It was was a 2-hander at all times!

I hope to make one...but a bit smaller and lighter.

I guess I'll be the heretic here but despite my German beer steins and other "proper" glasses, I most ofter drink my beer out of Tervis Tumblers. My beer stays nice and cold even if I get distracted by something. I started out using them for tailgate duties as they are rugged and reliable (I call them the AK-47 of the drink cup world) but after a while they became my favorite household cup as well.

not fancy but I brew mostly english & american, dimple works most of the time. american pints as stand by's or even a walmart inverted "bowling pin". $8 for 6. not a shabby head holder.

other favorite is some big true hefe glasses for true to style.

Back