Too late to plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pretty late in the season for finding them. If you can find some it won't hurt to plant them. Some of mine have just barely sprouted.

They say the typical growing season is 120 days. When's winter up there?

If they're first year hops, plant them anyway. Their goal this season is just to develop a good root system. don't worry about cone formation.

Cool. I'll try freshops or something and see what I can find. Thanks for the quick responses!

Go ahead and try. My LHBS still has rhizomes for sale. I planted some rhizomes in late June last year and they sprouted.

Of course I killed them with the frost, but that's a totally different story.

I had a Magnum rhizome last year that never came up. I was in the LHBS on Father's Day, yes Father's day and bought a Hallertau. It sprouted in a couple days and made some good progress. It's back up this year and doing as well as the other two that came up last April.

It's not to late to plant.

My 2 that grew last year were planted on fothers day also. I only got about 4' of growth, but they have already sprouted 2 healthy bines each this year.

Even if it's a bit on the late side, it can't hurt to get a jump on next year! :D

So... I ended up planting a Cascade rhizome from Fresh Hops. It already had several white buds and I've taken good care of it. Should I be concerned a few weeks later that I've seen nothing break ground? Again... my hope is to get some root development for a harvest next year.

So... I ended up planting a Cascade rhizome from Fresh Hops. It already had several white buds and I've taken good care of it. Should I be concerned a few weeks later that I've seen nothing break ground? Again... my hope is to get some root development for a harvest next year.

It can take a few weeks or more for them to emerge.

It can take a few weeks or more for them to emerge.

yeah... some of mine sprouted in a few days...some took weeks to emerge even though they were planted at the same time.

last thursday (night) i planted a bunch more. one had sprouted by friday morning. now eight have poked there heads through. it had been over 100 degrees for five days straight. i guess they like heat afterall. i've been watering every day... and more if needed.

Back