S23 Saflager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nishy

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm brewing a Lager using Saflager S23 yeast and I'm a bit confused about what temp the yeast should be added at. The instructions for the brew say add the yeast at 25 degrees C but the yeast instructions say temp should be 11 - 24 Degrees C but ideally 11-15 degrees C. I added the yeast straight away when my fermenter was at 22 Degrees C and over the last 3 days the temp has been a steady 16 Degrees C. Over the last 3 days the Specific Gravity has gone from 1044,1040,1036,1027.
My problem is that there is no bubbling from my air lock, does this matter and at what temp should the yeast be pitched at??
Any assistance appreciated.

Cheers
Daryl

First of all, welcome to the forum! 25ºC is way too hot for any yeast when it comes to brewing. You were right to keep it at 16º. If you see two conflicting bits of instruction between the yeast packet and the kit's instructions, always believe the yeast packet. Bubbling airlock is no real way to tell whether the wort is fermenting or not, taking hydrometer readings is. However, you're taking too many readings! Leave the poor yeasties alone for a few weeks and let them do their job. Saflager is a dry lager yeast and should be pitched at cooler temperatures. If possible, get the fermenter temps down to 13º, that should be perfect. Leave it for three more weeks then take it back to room temps for three days. Then you can lager for another 3 to 4 weeks.

Thanks for the welcome and great tips. Most brews I have done to date have fermented in 5 days!! Once I get a steady Hydrometer reading then I bottle. This latest brew is the first I have tried without a heater. So in future if I add all ingredients which often requires hot water to mix malt and hops etc, is it OK to leave the wort for 24 hours or so to cool and then add the yeast?
What do you mean by I can lager for another 3 to 4 weeks?
There is foam forming around the top of the fermenter so typically how long do people usually leave this yeast before bottling?
Cheers
Daryl

Lager yeast takes much longer than 5 days to finish. I've had ale yeast ferment anywhere from 24 hours to 14 days. Lager yeast, because it works slower, takes at least 3 weeks to finish fermentation. Then the beer needs to warm up so the yeast can finish fermenting all its byproducts called a diacytel rest. Then lagering is just cold storage.

Lager yeast needs cooler temps than ale yeast to do it's work. Once the fermentation is actually done lagers benefit from cold storage. howtobrew.com and our wiki (link is up in the brown bar at the top of the page) have a lot more information on the differences between lager yeast and ale yeast.

Also, fill out your profile information so we know where you are! I'm assuming you're in Europe or Oz.

Back