Does this look right? (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan345

Reaction score
This is worrying me. I transferred to my secondary a few hours ago and this is what it looks like now. It looks kind of like mold to me... wish I could RDWHAHB but I don't have any since this is my first ever batch.

Homebrew002.jpg

Homebrew001.jpg

It's definitely not mold....it looks to me like you transferred too early and it wasn't done fermenting yet. Just looks like signs of fermentation.

It could just be carbonation bubbles too...at any rate you should be fine :mug:

I would think that mold would take more than a few hours to grow but I could be wrong.

Hmm, it had been in the primary for 9 1/2 days and I had 2 days of identical hydrometer readings. Is it possible that all the movement caused fermentation to start back up?

Duncan345 said:
Hmm, it had been in the primary for 9 1/2 days and I had 2 days of identical hydrometer readings. Is it possible that all the movement caused fermentation to start back up?

yes, very possible.. What was you FG. and recipe?

If you look very closely and see very tiny bubbles then it is likely CO2 clinging to a bit of yeast or something. It happened to me once and they will fade away.

Blender said:
If you look very closely and see very tiny bubbles then it is likely CO2 clinging to a bit of yeast or something. It happened to me once and they will fade away.

I do see tiny bubbles. Maybe I was a little too rough with the transfer. I thought I as being pretty gentle. :eek:

Had the same thing happen to me once. I was concerned also, and with time they went away. Not sure if it was incomplete fermentation or what. The brew turned out just fine. Great forum, to learn about things like this though.

My nut brown ale in my secondary did that after a few days as well, I didn't think anything of it. It'll go away. I was also at 1.013 FG, but that was right on the money. My first batch dropped a bit in the secondary, from 1.010 to 1.008, and it was fine.

Just remember, it doesn't have to be perfect to be really good beer.

That kit was my first beer i made, just 6 weeks ago. I am drinking it as i type, and it tastes awesome!! I racked mine after 7 days, even though my fg was high, but it started to ferment again and i hit roughly 1.012 like it states in the instructions. I am through half of the batch already and it hasn't conditioned for 2 weeks yet, but it is too good to keep my hands off. Even SWMBO loves it, which is a good and bad thing. It will be fine!!

I don't use a secondary, but this is what the beer looks like in my primary right before it clears up. I think it's just very small amounts of fermentation and the associated CO2. Probably the racking of the beer stirred some yeast back up into solution and it's not quite done fermenting. How long was it in the primary?

TwoHeadsBrewing said:
I don't use a secondary, but this is what the beer looks like in my primary right before it clears up. I think it's just very small amounts of fermentation and the associated CO2. Probably the racking of the beer stirred some yeast back up into solution and it's not quite done fermenting. How long was it in the primary?

It was in the primary for about 9 1/2 days. It has now been a day since I transferred to the secondary. It is pretty obvious now that they are just bubbles.

Homebrew003.jpg

Back