First Cider was successful

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aubiecat

Reaction score
First I have to say thanks to all those that came before me. You mad it much more simple and less nerve racking. I knew exactly what to expect and when everything worked out well it just confirmed the tutorials and advice given here is #1.

11/17/12

5 - 1 gallon Musselman's 100% Apple Cider
2 lbs. light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. per gallon of Pectic enzyme
1 tsp. of Wyeast yeast nutrient
Topped it up with about 1/4+ of Motts 100% Apple juice (had to use a 6 gallon BB)
1 packet of Nottingham
Pure oxygen for 30 seconds
Shook Carboy for 30 seconds
Placed on fermentation cabinet at 67º

OG 1.060
It took about 12 hours for the yeast to get going.

11/20/12
started to get the farty smell so I dashed it with 1/2 tsp. of Wyeast nutrient and the smell was gone the next day.

11/21/12
Gravity reading 1.030+/- Tasted extremely sweet

11/26/12
Gravity reading 1.020+/- Tasted sweet

11/27/12
Gravity reading 1.000 Tasted tart and dry.

Went ahead and bottled. Used 5 oz. of corn sugar to carb
Filled 1 Coke bottle for checking the carbonation.

11/28/12
Check the carbonation. Not there yet

11/29/12
Check the carbonation. Pretty tiny bubbles.

To pasteurize I loaded all the bottles in the dishwasher. I thought about it and I figured this was a safe way to do this, in case of bottle bombs, it would be contained.
I ran a sani/rinse cycle on my dishwasher, which gets the water temperature up to 155º. I was glad to see I didn't have one bottle bomb. I did have 10 or 12 with swelled caps so I went ahead and put them in the fridge.
The rest I put in a plastic tub, just to be safe. So far so good.

I popped the top on one a little while ago. Right now there is a very noticeable yeast smell and flavor. That aside, it tasted exactly like I wanted, not to dry not sweet. Can't wait for the yeast funk to go away.

It's actually clearer than it looks here because the glass is frosted from the cold cider.
IMG145.jpg

Back