Spin Doctor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clementine

Reaction score
I'm designing a E-Herms Systems and acquiring parts but a recent brew caused me to question my current plans. I want to try to whirl pool due to the large amount of cold break I noticed in a brew (also first use of whirl flock). I current use a CFC for cooling and the question is; Do people who use CFC for cooling the wort use a whirl pool? And if so do you pump into another container or do you recirculate the wort through the chiller back to the boil kettle effectively cooling the whole kettle?

Clem

I'm designing a E-Herms Systems and acquiring parts but a recent brew caused me to question my current plans. I want to try to whirl pool due to the large amount of cold break I noticed in a brew (also first use of whirl flock). I current use a CFC for cooling and the question is; Do people who use CFC for cooling the wort use a whirl pool? And if so do you pump into another container or do you recirculate the wort through the chiller back to the boil kettle effectively cooling the whole kettle?

Clem

I'm sure that there are a bunch of different ways to achieve this. Here's mine.

I use a copper ring inside the kettle, which sits about 2" inboard from the side of the keg wall. It has 1/32" holes (smallest drill bit I had anyways) under.

When I turn off the heat source, I give the kettle a good strong whirlpool with my brew spoon, until I can see a good vortex. I then let it sit for about 5 minutes, while I get ready to use my CFC. When the vortex has subdued for the most part, I start pumping out of the kettle, through the CFC, then the pump, and into my fermenters. This leaves me with very little hot break or hops going to the fermenters.

MC

Back