Westvleteren clone + ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjcoss

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Westvleteren clone and try out doing parti-gyle brewing technique getting 2 beers from one mash. I'm using this rather simple recipe for the Westvleteren clone:

15 lbs Pale Malt (2 row) Belgian
15 lbs Pilsner (2 row) Belgian

6 lbs candi syrup D-90
1.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 90
2 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker @ 30
2 oz Styrian Goldings @ 30
white labs Abbey ale yeast

The question is what would make a good 2nd beer. I was thinking something along the lines of a IPA, but should I just added a different/more agressive hop schedule and yeast or do I need to a grain steep to the wort to provide some additional character to get something closer to an IPA

Any thought?

Depending on the gravities, and since your second beer would be all base malt, I would consider adding some table sugar or corn sugar, and going for a Golden Strong or a Tripel or something along those lines.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going with creating kind of a Black Belgian IPA for the second beer. Mostly because the other guys that I brew with all like IPA's. I'm going to steep in the wort from the mash, a grain bag with

8 oz of Crystal malt 90L,
6 oz of Carafa II, and
6 oz of Chocolate Malt.

Then do a hop schedule with

1.0 oz Summit @ 60,
1.0 oz Chinook @ 15,
1.0 oz Centennial @ 10,
1.0 oz Cascade @ 5, and
1.0 oz Centennial @ 0.

Not sure what OG, I'll end up with but hopefully it will taste ok :)

Back