Bigger Batch = Higher Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
When I brew a 5 gallon batch, my efficiency is usually around 72%. However, when I brew a 10 gallon batch, the much larger sparge (which is also slower, due to the double thick grain bed) jumps the efficiency up to about 86%.

I guess this is pretty normal, right?

Have to keep that in mind when I brew now.

I did my first 10 gallon batch last weekend and had the same results as my efficiency jumped from 70% to 80%. I think the extra sparge water and new burner (higher boil off rate) did it for me.

My SG was higher than expected going into the keggle. I redid my calculations and added more water to the boil. OG was still high, but not as high as it would have been without the extra water.

Still going to be a strong batch of Hefe.

Oh well, lesson learned.

:)

Not for me. My 5 gallon batches come in aroun 73%, where as my 10 gal batches give me an effeciency around 65%. Go fig.

If you're using the same MLT, you've also got a proportionally smaller dead space, which would increase your efficiency some.

You know, I just had a thought:

I moved my braid. It was looped back toward the spigot. I shortened the tube connecting it, and flipped it AWAY from the spigot. That altered the position and size of the dead space, which obviously had an effect.

Latest posts

Back