Oatmeal stout turns to brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my first brew ever was supposed to be an oatmeal stout, but I realized a few days ago that instead of dark extract, like the recipe called for, I used amber extract. So that got me worried about what kind of beer it would turn out to be. My fears were laid to rest just now when I took a gravity to make sure I will be ready to bottle tomorrow. Based on the OG, FG, color and calculated IBUs, it's going to be a brown ale, which I tend to enjoy. What's more, upon taste testing, it reminded me a lot of Newcastle. So hopefully it will stay that way once it's done and I will have an accidental Newcastle clone recipe. Wouldn't that be exciting, huh? I imagine you all are probably not interested in hearing about the screwups of a new brewer, but I am excited that it's going to turn out good despite my lack of attention to detail.

-AJ

That's what's great about brewing and different styles. If you do something unintended, it's not a mistake. You just make another beer without knowing it. :D

Amazing what can go wrong and you still have beer!

There have been many a brew entered in competitions that would have fared better in a different style. My first judging was Bitters. The best tasting beer of the batch got a very low score. If it had been entered as a Mild, it probably would have placed in the top three overall. It was a great Mild.

Latest posts

Back