Induction cooker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already did the calculation on like, page 2. Just plug in whatever numbers you want. It will take about an hour.

My whole kitchen stove is induction and I can attest that it's NOT great for a 5 gallon boil. Stick with a propone burner to achieve a good rolling boil at that volume. 2.5 gallon boils are no problem.

I already did the calculation on like, page 2. Just plug in whatever numbers you want. It will take about an hour.

Ah, I remember now. I think I glossed over it because the UK is on a higher voltage. I'll take another look at that.

EDIT: By the looks of it, we should be able to handle a 3000 watt unit, and potentially bring the time down to around 35 mins

Last edited by a moderator:
Success !

I got myself 2x1800watt (the household limit). Put side by side. I fill my triclad kettle with 9 gallon of room temperature water. After 2 hours I got my rolling boil.

It might be faster if my kettle could fit entirely on the induction douhnut(ring)

Here's a picture of the rig

Attachments

• 1531060236384212322187.jpg
    1531060236384212322187.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 47
Success !

I got myself 2x1800watt (the household limit). Put side by side. I fill my triclad kettle with 9 gallon of room temperature water. After 2 hours I got my rolling boil.

It might be faster if my kettle could fit entirely on the induction douhnut(ring)

Do you think the 2 burners with half coil coverage each is any faster than a single one covering the whole coil? 2 hours seems excessively long.
For reference, I can heat 7-8 gallons in about 45 minutes on my 3500W plate. I do have insulation wrapped around the kettle and 4-8 layers of a thick folded over towel lying on the lid.

Beautiful !

I'm pretty sure everything you said count. The insulation certainly help. I think my kettle could warm way faster if it was on both doughnut.

I've tried to boil 6gallon with only one 1800w. The sad thing happen that I could only bring it to a simmer after 2hours.

I'm happy with this one for myself.

Ps: thanks for the insulation trick.

Ps: thanks for the insulation trick.
Insulation makes a huge difference.

Additionally you can add a 1500-1800W heat stick to your kettle when heating up water. Just plug it into a different circuit as the plates. Use an extension cord from another room perhaps. A GFCI outlet (bathroom) or GFCI addon switch would be advised though. Some heat sticks don't even have a ground wire, so you'd need to attach the ground to your kettle somehow.

Now I wouldn't use the heat stick with wort though, for chance of burning the wort. The heat density on those heat sticks is quite high (large output on a small surface).

Back