1st Mini-Mash this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmm635

Reaction score
I'm brewing a stout this weekend with about 1/2 lb each of flaked oats and flaked barley, among other things. I've come to realize that the oats and barley are ideally to be mashed instead of steeped. Guess I will be trying a mini-mash for the first time on Saturday.

My question is, how much base malt (probably 2-row) do I need to add and how much DME should be subtracted to adjust?

I'm brewing a stout this weekend with about 1/2 lb each of flaked oats and flaked barley, among other things. I've come to realize that the oats and barley are ideally to be mashed instead of steeped. Guess I will be trying a mini-mash for the first time on Saturday.

My question is, how much base malt (probably 2-row) do I need to add and how much DME should be subtracted to adjust?

You want to have at least as much base malt as adjuncts/grains. So, if you have two pounds of oats/flaked barley/chocolate malt, have two pounds of two-row at a minimum.

As far as subtracting the amount of DME, plan on removing .6 pound of DME for every 1 pound of two-row.

Back