Kegging with pin locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskysibe

Reaction score
I will be kegging in a few weeks with pin lock kegs, I have been reading all the stickies and posts on kegging. I have one question, how in the world do you purge O2 from the keg after filling it with beer without having the relief valve? Thoughts?

Billy

You can press down on the poppet in the gas post with your fingernail or a screwdriver.

LVBen said:
You can press down on the poppet in the gas post with your fingernail or a screwdriver.

So hit it with CO2, then disconnect the gas line and press the valve a couple times?

So hit it with CO2, then disconnect the gas line and press the valve a couple times?

Attach the gas QD, fill the head space with CO2, remove the gas QD, press and hold the gas poppet down until you don't hear gas escaping, then release it. Repeat the whole procedure a couple of times to flush all the oxygen out of the head space, then pressurize the keg one last time to help seal the lid tight...

Cheers!

Attach the gas QD, fill the head space with CO2, remove the gas QD, press and hold the gas poppet down until you don't hear gas escaping, then release it. Repeat the whole procedure a couple of times to flush all the oxygen out of the head space, then pressurize the keg one last time to help seal the lid tight...

Cheers!

Yes... but I don't completely release all of the pressure. I press down the poppet until there is only a little bit of pressure remaining, because I am afraid that if I completely equalize the keg's pressure with the atmosphere's pressure then I will get a little bit of oxygen sucked backed in.

I connect the CO2 QD, pressurize keg to 30 psi, disconnect the CO2 QD, and release the pressure (not all of it) 3 times before force carbonating.

Back