Bottling after cellar ageing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I and my Sam Adam's Boston Ale Clone for 3 weeks in the cellar at 55 degrees. I have 2 questions. I am going to bottle the stuff this weekend. Should I bring the carboy up to room temperature before I bottle? Also I do not use a bottling bucket I just rack it to bottles from the carboy what is the best way to distribute the corn sugar solution without disturbing all that has settled out? I mean what is the point of letting it age and clear just to stir it up again.

I think you've hit on the best reason for using a bottling bucket. You can siphon it out of the secondary and leave that trub behind, and gently mix in the priming sugar as it siphins into the bottling bucket.

You may actually have to add some fresh yeast to this. One way of doing it, is making a 10oz starter, from some of the corn sugar or DME you use for priming, and pitch it into the beer at high kraeusen.

Kai

What was the beer in before it was in the carboy? Did you do primary fermentation in something else (plastic bucket) and then rack it to the carboy?

Anything that you can sanitize that would hold the whole 5 gallons would serve perfectly well as a bottling container.

All my fermenters are glass I do not own a bottling bucket. I just siphon right out of the carboys. Is there anyone else here that bottles out of the carboy and if so how do you do it without stirring up too much sediment.

the only way to do that would be the old school method of distributing the corn sugar into the bottles before adding the ale. very unspecific, time consuming, and all around not a very good way of priming. however you won't have tyo stir up the sediment. my advice: spend ten dollars on a bottling bucket or a lot more on a way to force carbonate your beer.

voodoochild7 said:
All my fermenters are glass I do not own a bottling bucket. I just siphon right out of the carboys. Is there anyone else here that bottles out of the carboy and if so how do you do it without stirring up too much sediment.

There's no reason you couldn't use another carboy as a bottling "bucket."

The benefit is that you'd siphon it off the trub from the secondary. Then you could mix in the priming sugar in the second carboy without having to worry about stiring up sediment. Then siphon it back out and into the bottles.

Latest posts

Back