Belgian Tripel Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed the AG version of this about two weeks ago. I too have experienced over attenuation on this beer as the above poster has. I'm fairly certain that it is due to the protein rest @ 140 for 15 minutes. In all honesty I'm not even sure that the rest is necessary depending on what type of pilsner malt you use. Most of the base malts out there today are highly modified and do not require protein rests. I tried it as per the original recipe and would not recommend it unless you want a beer that is REALLY boozy. My OG was 1.095 (planned for 1.087) and my last measured gravity was 1.012 (planned 1.021). Apparent attenuation is 87%! The beer is going to be 11% alcohol and I'm rather concerned that it might be undrinkable due to such a high ABV. I'm going to lager this beer for 2-3 months at least after I keg it in 4-6 weeks. Going to give this one a long secondary that's for sure.

In my opinion, I say skip the protein rest as I don't feel it's necessary. And if you must do a rest, do it between 120-130. The candi sugar will help dry this beer out plenty.

I'm running this brew through tomorrow. I however am making to changes. First change is instead of clear belgian candy I'm using cane jaggery since I have plenty to use for this recipe. Then I'm using WLP545 because I have it and don't know what else I'd use it for at this point. I have to stop buying yeast just because I spot it or because it's on sale.

I'm doing this one tomorrow also. This will be my biggest brew to date so I'm looking forward too it!

9 days later and its at 1.016 and already tastes pretty damn good! Ive been reading about people moving away from using secondaries I was wondering of keeping this beer in the primary for three more weeks would hurt it at all. Any suggestions from those who've produced finished batches?

I didnt use a secondary and kept this in the primary for 3 months (out of necessity, not desire). It tasted amazing when I bottled it.

Man they have Final Absolution on tap at Big E's in Midland and I loved it. This recipe looks like a winner. Will definitely have to try this out.

Found it cached on Google :rockin:

Dragonmead Final Absolution Triple Clone

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Multi Step
Grain Lbs: 14.40
Water Qts: 36.00 Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 9.00 Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 2.50 Before Additional Infusions

Rest Temp Time
Acid Rest: 0 0 Min
Protein Rest: 140 15 Min
Intermediate Rest: 0 0 Min
Saccharification Rest: 150 60 Min
Mash-out Rest: 168 15 Min
Sparge: 168 60 Min

Total Mash Volume Gal: 10.20 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Can someone help clarify this mash schedule for me? I will start by saying that I haven't done anything more than a single infusion mash and batch sparge, so I am not used to interpreting a mash schedule.

I am confused by the 2.5 qts/lb grain, which is 9 gallons of water. Is this going to be the amount of water you dough in with? It just seems that 2.5qt/lb grain is a really thin mash. I haven't brewed a triple before, so maybe it is just characteristic of the style?

Also, assuming 1-1.5 gallon loss due to absorption, that means 7.5 gallons collected before any sparging? How much water are folks sparging with? Seems like quite a bit of water to boil off already. Is this a 90 minute boil?

And finally, the mash schedule lists 9 gallons before additional infusions. I suppose this means that if you do the protein rest in a homemade cooler MLT, you'll need to add additional water to bring the temp up for the saccharification rest? Is that where the total mash volume of 10.2 gallons comes from?

Thanks for the help folks! I look forward to brewing this one this weekend!

Brewed this last Sunday, 1.23.11. Tried to follow recipe as much as possible. Did a partial following DeathBrewer's thread on partial mash. After boil, I was at 1.094 with 4 gl. Added 1.5 gl to make 5.5 gl and pitched two packets of 3787. Very active fermentation, blew out the airlock. Still bubbling on day 9. Really excited to try this one.

Recipe converted from original AG recipe
2 lbs. Belgian Munich info
2.2 lbs. Belgian Pils info
7 lbs. CBW® Pilsen Light Liquid (Malt Extract) info
1.6 lbs. Candi Sugar Clear info
1.0 lbs. Wheat Flaked info
2 oz. Hallertau Mittelfruh (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1 oz. Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 6.00 %AA) boiled 30 min. info
1 oz. Czech Saaz (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 3 min. info
Yeast : WYeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity info

Can someone help clarify this mash schedule for me? I will start by saying that I haven't done anything more than a single infusion mash and batch sparge, so I am not used to interpreting a mash schedule.

I am confused by the 2.5 qts/lb grain, which is 9 gallons of water. Is this going to be the amount of water you dough in with? It just seems that 2.5qt/lb grain is a really thin mash. I haven't brewed a triple before, so maybe it is just characteristic of the style?

Also, assuming 1-1.5 gallon loss due to absorption, that means 7.5 gallons collected before any sparging? How much water are folks sparging with? Seems like quite a bit of water to boil off already. Is this a 90 minute boil?

And finally, the mash schedule lists 9 gallons before additional infusions. I suppose this means that if you do the protein rest in a homemade cooler MLT, you'll need to add additional water to bring the temp up for the saccharification rest? Is that where the total mash volume of 10.2 gallons comes from?

Thanks for the help folks! I look forward to brewing this one this weekend!

I batch sparged this @ 152 and it turned out just fine.

I did the AG version of this 2 weeks ago. Got an OG of 1.088 and after checking it yesterday it had a SG of 1.006, 10.75% ABV. This stuff starts off sweet then finishes like rocket fuel. I hope this mellows a bit over the next 2 weeks before bottling.

I did the AG version of this 2 weeks ago. Got an OG of 1.088 and after checking it yesterday it had a SG of 1.006, 10.75% ABV. This stuff starts off sweet then finishes like rocket fuel. I hope this mellows a bit over the next 2 weeks before bottling.

It will. Mine was good after 2 months but it's really good at 6 months old.

I brewed 11.5 gallons of this all-grain a couple days ago. I used WLP550 cuz I had a fresh yeast cake that wanted to do some more work. Looking forward to it.

Just ordered everything for the extract version only thing I'm unclear on is the boil size? I just realized a full 6 gallon boil will be impossible for me.

Brewed this last Sunday, 1.23.11. Tried to follow recipe as much as possible. Did a partial following DeathBrewer's thread on partial mash. After boil, I was at 1.094 with 4 gl. Added 1.5 gl to make 5.5 gl and pitched two packets of 3787. Very active fermentation, blew out the airlock. Still bubbling on day 9. Really excited to try this one.

Recipe converted from original AG recipe
2 lbs. Belgian Munich info
2.2 lbs. Belgian Pils info
7 lbs. CBW® Pilsen Light Liquid (Malt Extract) info
1.6 lbs. Candi Sugar Clear info
1.0 lbs. Wheat Flaked info
2 oz. Hallertau Mittelfruh (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1 oz. Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 6.00 %AA) boiled 30 min. info
1 oz. Czech Saaz (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 3 min. info
Yeast : WYeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity info

Moved to Secondary although probably wasn't ready. Last sample was 1.016 and still going; tasted really good. Lots of banana.

It seems to be pretty murky still. When did others see the beer clear up?

I forgot to post this. This was 24hr after pitching.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pitched my yeast 10 days ago. Sparged a little too much and ended up with an OG of 1.085. Down to 1.014 today & still fermenting slowly.

Wowza! 9.30% ABV and climbing.

Brewed this on Saturday and decided to take a reading today - down to 1.013 from 1.084 in 4 days. Tasted a bit and it is shaping up to be good. Lots of young alcohol, of course, and that nice Belgian funkiness coming through :rockin:.

ETA: Fermentation at a fairly steady 68 to 69 degrees.

Brewed just shy of 2 weeks ago. Racked to bright tank last night. Tasted AMAZING! I used WLP550. Love this beer already, and it's not even clear. Fruity Belgian nose. Crisp. Citrus quality. Finishes a little hot due to being less than 2 weeks old & 9.6% ABV (1.086 to 1.013)

It is going to be fantastic.

I did the partial mash version of this recipe, 5.6lbs of grain with a 24hr two vial starter.

9 hours after pitch, that jug of sanitizer is starting to look pretty tasty:

Thanks for the recipe/thread

Last edited by a moderator:
This was my 5gal batch. Some minor differences with your recipe.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.00 lb Pilsener (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.0 %
1.75 lb Munich Malt(2-row) (6.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
3.00 oz Hallertauer [3.30%] (60 min) Hops 29.6 IBU
0.40 oz Fuggles [4.80%] (30 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
1.00 oz Czech Saaz [4.00%] (3 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
1.75 lb Candy Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 10.0 %

How did yours come out? I planned to make 6 gallons with my recipe, do you see anything with mine that could use adjustment?

I planned for 6 gallons and made mine with 15.5lbs of Pils and 2lbs of Munich. My gravity was a little high from the mash and then I added jaggery sugar instead of plain table sugar. They come in 1kg blocks so rather than weigh out the 1.5 or 1.75lbs of sugar I just dropped the whole thing in. So mine will be a bit higher alcohol than the standard recipe. I will be bottling next week most likely.

I'll be making the extract version of this early next week. Looking forward to it. Thanks original poster for posting this recipe! :ban:

I brewed this beer 1.23.11, fermented for 4 weeks and have been drawing off the keg for two. Turned out fantastic. Roughly 8.4 ABV. I liked it so much I brewed it again yesterday. Stayed mostly true to the grain bill but added 1/10 more belgian candi sugar and .5oz bitter orange peel.

I have an update on mine. I did a streak plate on a wild yeast testing media. My tripel has brett in it somehow. I'm sure it's from my Old Ale but how it got in the tripel and not my other beers I don't know. Either way I think I'll check the gravity and possibly bottle it this week. I will just add less priming sugar based on the residual gravity for the brett to consume. I'll be bottling in heavy champagne bottles so a bomb isn't a real concern for me.

I brewed this today and now it's in my primary. I did have to make a few substitutions due to the store not having certain hops. I subbed in German Hallertau and US Saaz. Other than that I followed the directions to the letter. OG was 1.084 which makes this the biggest brew that I have done so far. I did make a yeast starter and so far not a whole lot of action however at the writing of this it's only been 10 hours since I pitched the yeast.

Now it's fermenting like a champ! Smells really fruity maybe a little banana, don't know but I like it!

I cracked the first bottle after a month of bottle carbing and it was very good. Mine is of the stronger variety, almost 11%. My fermentation temp was lower than I would have liked producing a more phenolic/banana flavor than I would have liked. Very good with a slight alcohol tinge to it.

Hey guys, major newbie here. This is a 5 gallon recipe right? Also how would a new brewer Luke myself know how long to bowl in the hops? This will be my second batch, which explains my extremely simplistic and ignorant questions.

Thanks for any guidance you can lend, il be buying ingredients tomorrow and brewing Sunday.

Hey guys, major newbie here. This is a 5 gallon recipe right? Also how would a new brewer Luke myself know how long to bowl in the hops? This will be my second batch, which explains my extremely simplistic and ignorant questions.

Thanks for any guidance you can lend, il be buying ingredients tomorrow and brewing Sunday.

6 gallons and your going to boil for 60 min.

The time next to the hops is how long they need to boil.

Hops:
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Mustangj said:

Hops:
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Hey thanks for the help! So my fermented says 6.5 gallons on the side of the bucket but will that give it enough room or should I downsize the recipe to accommodate?

Tomtanner said:

I have only brewed this up as an all grain batch, so I cant vouch for how good the extract version is. That being said, yes it is a 5 g batch. You should be able to find the extract recipe and hop schedule somewhere in this thread. You picked a hell of a second batch

Or what MustangJ said :)

Mustangj said:

Hops:
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Also, should I still start with two gallons of water for the bowl or should I up that To 3 gallons due to this being a 6 gallon recipe as opposed to a 5 gallon recipe...... Like I said MAJOR newbie, I just really enjoy good beer.

Also, should I still start with two gallons of water for the bowl or should I up that To 3 gallons due to this being a 6 gallon recipe as opposed to a 5 gallon recipe...... Like I said MAJOR newbie, I just really enjoy good beer.

How big is your pot?

Back