How do you store your Hops and Grains ? freezer or fridge ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, me I generally dont store them. I mean I buy them for a specific brew that is usually pretty quick. I put them in the fridge till then.

Mine come vacuum sealed in 4oz packets. What I have left over I put in an air tight container but I keep them at room temperature in a cupboard. What is important id that they are kept dry and in a container. The temperature is not such an important feature over the short haul.

Turricaine said:
Mine come vacuum sealed in 4oz packets. What I have left over I put in an air tight container but I keep them at room temperature in a cupboard. What is important id that they are kept dry and in a container. The temperature is not such an important feature over the short haul.

This depends on if they are crushed or not.

Hops are vac bagged and frozen
Sugars (corn/lactose) are vac bagged
DME is vac bagged
I normally only buy grain that I need, so I don't keep any on hand.

If you put them in the fridge or freezer, remember these are quite moist places to put them. If you decied it store them here, it's critical they are wrapped up properly or they will become moist and this will catalyze their degradation.

For all who keep fresh/loose ingredients on hand at home, get a Foodsaver vacbag kit. I use mine for regular food freezing too, but it is fantastic for brewing supplies.

i store them in wort. :D

seriously, the fridge.

i don't stock up on them. they cost a dollar forty an ounce here in little vaccum sealed bags. supposedly nitrogen purged, but i've no way of verifying that.

I generally buy what I need for each batch just before brewing. I try not to buy more than I need and use all that I buy. The fridge holds the rest, but I agree with the vacuum bagging. Fine idea.

my brother and i buy our base grain by the bag and hops by the pound.

we pay 22.50 for 55lbs of Gambrinous, and from $3.60 to 8 bucks for a pound of hops, leaf or pellets about the same price. we've got a hundred lbs of grain, and maybe six lbs of various hops.

we store the grain in the bag in a rubbermaid tub, cool and dry. Grind it as we go. Freezer bags for the hops.

buying in bulk has saved us a ton...but we make a lot of beer. it is very helpful to belong to a very strong Homebrew Club, thankfully some of them are also interested in paying as little as possible for high quality ingrediants.

morbro

Back