Help me pick out brews for friends party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
A friend of mine here at work is throwng a party for his daughter when she graduates from college. I was asked to brew the beer for the party. He asked me to make 5 carboys of assorted beer for around 50-75 people, many of them '20 somethings' who will put away more than 1. I figured 10 gallons of a light BMC wannabe and 3 other easy drinking session beers. Most of these people are not beer geeks. I expect that most of them are BMC drinkers with the occasional Sam or Heineken drinker thrown in for good measure. I don't expect to bring anyone over to the dark side. Most of my friends and all of my family look forward to what I brew and I haven't had to modify my offerings at family gatherings or pig roasts for years, but I don't know these people so I figure that the wise course is to brew what they will drink.

Here's the catch. It's Memorial Day Weekend so I don't really have time to make a Pils or other lager that I could easily make like a BMC. And I'm not really interested in giving him any of the kegs I have down in the cellar lagering by the bulkhead door. (Too much time effort and love went into brewing my summer stock to offer it to folks who who't appreciate what they are drinking.)

I'm thinking an Amber ale, a wheat, a Kolsch and two kegs of something like BM's recent Sterling Gold. Anyone got a better idea?

I'll be bringing the beer and my Keezer over to his house beforehand so everything has a chance to settle after getting jostled during the ride. He'll have 4 taps available to him so he only needs to change one keg out when it kicks. I'm just looking for any other suggestions on how to make this as easy for him as possible.

Don't assume too quickly that they will be BMC's and the like. It's the 20-30 year olds that bug me the most for some of my brew. I've tried to explain that they can make brew too! Just my thoughts but I would go with maybe 10 gal Lemon Honey Wheat, an APA, an Amber, and maybe a Pilsner made with ale yeast (thinking the Brewers Best kit here that I tried and was very tastey!). If your co-worker was smart enough to ask you to do this maybe he knows this crowd will go for good brew. Or maybe he hopes they won't and he'll have some tastey brew on hand for himself for a while!;)

Yeah, here's what I would most likely do:
APA with Safale US-05
a wheat
maybe a pseudo-lager/pilsner with US-05 (clean yeast)
an amber
and maybe you want to make something like an English brown (just in case you have a few dark beer lovers, worst thing worst, I bet you would find some people that will like the taste, you just have to convince them that they won't p*ss brown because of the beer).

You have about two months so some of this styles will really be able to develop (pseudo-pilsner, amber and English brown).

Good thought. Ed's Pale Ale will fit the bill as the light drinking session beer that will make a lot of people happy as they enjoy it. I was a bit reticent to use BM's new beer without having made it yet myself. Gotta love how Nottingham is done in two shakes of a lambs tale.

PTN

Back