Scotch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmcl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
From an early age I've always liked Scotch. The good stuff, nothing blended or from anywhere other than Scotland, preferably with a name that's hard to pronounce. I could never figure out why, because to anyone that isn't born into the taste, it's vile stuff. Only beer rates higher on my list of poisons. (Cigarettes are at the top, but that's another rant).

I could never figure it out. Then it hit me. Scotch is nothing but distilled beer, really.

Why am I wiritng this and who will care?

Except the grains are smoked and they are single grains along with no hops and then distilled and placed into barrels for a few years.

But year they are basically the same.

I am a big fan of the single malts. I usually have a bottle of Macallen 12 in the pantry. I don't dip into it very often. One bottle can last me up to a year.

Unfortunately, I go through tequila much faster and I usually pay twice as much per bottle.

I love a 15 year Glenlivet. was never a fan of the walker series. I drink a glass of scotch and have a cigar every bday since i was 21 (and now a home brew :tank:)

Ummmm. Love a good scotch. Too many to start naming all of em I like, but my preference when I have a spare $50 or so sitting around is the Glenlivet that is special aged in French Oak Casks. I like it over a few small distilled ice cubes.

For Seattle Scotchheads Fred's Rivertown Alehouse in Snohomish has a pretty well stocked scotchbar. They have some scotches on there that are $20-25 a shot. That just came to mind while I was typing and dreaming of good scotch.

I'm almost done with my first bottle of scotch (Glenfiddich 15). I like their 15 better than their 12 and 18, but I like the Oban 14 more than the Glenfiddich 15. Next up I'll be trying the Balvenie 12 double wood on the advice of a friend.

Mmmmm, Scotch. Scotchy Scotchy Scotch. I went to a bar last night with a nice selection. Had a wee dram of Lagavuilin 16. Heaven in a glass :)

The $29 bill (after adding a white Russian for the wife) is the reason I usually drink it at home. As another poster said, a bottle will easily last me a year. So really, drinking Scotch is cheaper than beer in the long run!

So who's coming to my house for a nip from my collection?

whiskies.jpg

-Joe

I didn't know there was scotch made outside of Scotland?

Glenlivet Nadurra and Belvinie double cask are my drinking buddies as of late
There isn't :) There are plenty of single malt whiskys though. Or whiskeys if it's from the States.

There's a distillery right in upstate NY, in fact. Their single malt was just OK, but their rye whiskey was delicious. Now if I could just remember their name...:tank:

-Joe

That site is mistaken. That is not a Scotch whisky, it is a Japanese single-malt whisky. Not that it takes away from its awesomeness, it's just not Scotch.

Legal definition of Scotch whisky from the Scotch Whisky association:

The Scotch Whisky Act and Order

The Scotch Whisky Act 1988 and The Scotch Whisky Order 1990 define Scotch Whisky in UK law. Under the legislation, Scotch Whisky means whisky:

(a) which has been produced at a distillery in Scotland from water and malted barley(to which only whole grains of other cereals may be added) all of which have been:

(i) processed at that distillery into a mash;
(ii) converted to a fermentable substrate only by endogenous enzyme systems; and
(iii) fermented only by the addition of yeast;

(b) which has been distilled at an alcoholic strength by volume of less than 94.8% so that the distillate has an aroma and taste derived from the raw materials used in, and the method of, its production;

(c) which has been matured in an excise warehouse in Scotland in oak casks of a capacity not exceeding 700 litres, the period of that maturation being not less than three years;

(d) which retains the colour, aroma and taste derived from the raw materials used in, and the method of, its production and maturation, and to which no substance other than water and spirit caramel has been added.

-Joe

Next up I'll be trying the Balvenie 12 double wood on the advice of a friend

That's my favorite in terms of taste for price. I've tried just about every brand I can find in the sub $50 range, and this is by far on top. The liquor store near my house (Daveco, the largest one in the world) has a $15,000 bottle...

Japan’s Nikka Yoichi wins world’s best single malt Scotch whisky 2008 - JapanSugoi - Everything Cool about Japan

Well, technically it can't be called Scotch whisky...

That site is mistaken. That is not a Scotch whisky, it is a Japanese single-malt whisky. Not that it takes away from its awesomeness, it's just not Scotch.

Legal definition of Scotch whisky from the Scotch Whisky association:

The Scotch Whisky Act and Order

The Scotch Whisky Act 1988 and The Scotch Whisky Order 1990 define Scotch Whisky in UK law. Under the legislation, Scotch Whisky means whisky:

(a) which has been produced at a distillery in Scotland from water and malted barley(to which only whole grains of other cereals may be added) all of which have been:

(i) processed at that distillery into a mash;
(ii) converted to a fermentable substrate only by endogenous enzyme systems; and
(iii) fermented only by the addition of yeast;

(b) which has been distilled at an alcoholic strength by volume of less than 94.8% so that the distillate has an aroma and taste derived from the raw materials used in, and the method of, its production;

(c) which has been matured in an excise warehouse in Scotland in oak casks of a capacity not exceeding 700 litres, the period of that maturation being not less than three years;

(d) which retains the colour, aroma and taste derived from the raw materials used in, and the method of, its production and maturation, and to which no substance other than water and spirit caramel has been added.

-Joe

Well I would say that since the japanese scotch was produced presumably in japan, it is not subject to the UK's legal definition. This is just the Scotland based scotch industry's way of trying to maintain a monopoly on a certain method of producing whiskey, which, as the japanese have proven, is perfectly replicable in other parts of the world. Scotland may have made it famous, but scotch is now an international product. But I'm sure those who give a crap about these "Protected Designation of Origin" things will still maintain that scotland still has the best, despite this and future accolades for whiskey made outside of scotland. It's about quality product, not national origin.

Well I would say that since the japanese scotch was produced presumably in japan, it is not subject to the UK's legal definition. This is just the Scotland based scotch industry's way of trying to maintain a monopoly on a certain method of producing whiskey, which, as the japanese have proven, is perfectly replicable in other parts of the world. Scotland may have made it famous, but scotch is now an international product. But I'm sure those who give a crap about these "Protected Designation of Origin" things will still maintain that scotland still has the best, despite this and future accolades for whiskey made outside of scotland. It's about quality product, not national origin.
You are exactly right, it is about product. But no one is trying to prevent people from making single-malt whiskys, nor does anyone have a monopoly on the production method.

It's still single-malt whisky made in the same way as the Scots do, it's just not made in Scotland, so you can't call it Scotch.

Irish whiskey is made with the same method and ingredients and it's not called Scotch because it's made in Ireland.

Calling a Japanese whisky "Scotch" would be like all those made-in-China toys sporting a "Made in USA" tag. It doesn't change the product, it's just mis-labeled.

-Joe

Well I would say that since the japanese scotch was produced presumably in japan, it is not subject to the UK's legal definition. This is just the Scotland based scotch industry's way of trying to maintain a monopoly on a certain method of producing whiskey, which, as the japanese have proven, is perfectly replicable in other parts of the world.

Not at all.

The Japanese can make the greatest single-malt whiskey in the world but it would still be a misnomer to call it "Scotch Whiskey"(or more literally "Whiskey from Scotland").

The Japanese have bought up a number of distilleries in Scotland and Islay to obviate the need for verbal pu$$yfooting anyway. ;)

Suntory Scotch - Sean Connery

BTW - Why in the world is the word "pu$$yfoot" censored?? If I don't spell it with dollar signs, it dissapears...it's not even a "dirty word".

*****·foot
Pronunciation: \ˈpu̇-sē-ˌfu̇t\
Function: intransitive verb
Date: 1903
1 : to tread or move warily or stealthily
2 : to refrain from committing oneself
— *****·foot·er noun

As far as Scotch goes, give me Laphroaig! :D

I've actually acquired the taste unfortunately! I am completely partial to Macallen, I have a 12 in the pantry and think the world of 18. Blue and other premium blends are good but they are too confusing, single malt equals smoooooooooooooooooottttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You are exactly right, it is about product. But no one is trying to prevent people from making single-malt whiskys, nor does anyone have a monopoly on the production method.

It's still single-malt whisky made in the same way as the Scots do, it's just not made in Scotland, so you can't call it Scotch.

Irish whiskey is made with the same method and ingredients and it's not called Scotch because it's made in Ireland.

Calling a Japanese whisky "Scotch" would be like all those made-in-China toys sporting a "Made in USA" tag. It doesn't change the product, it's just mis-labeled.

-Joe

I would agree that it wouldn't be right if they were trying to portray their product as being made in Scotland, but I think they clearly aren't, and I disagree with your implied point that merely by using the word Scotch they are implying some sort of national origin. Sure, the word is derived from the original origin of this particular type of product, but I would say that at this point in time, Scotch has come to be more associated with a type of product than being from Scotland. If it were all about national origin, than anything Scottish whiskey producers do (changing to a radically different recipe type or method of production) would have to be still considered scotch. But tell me, in which scenario would you feel more cheated, if you received a bottle of clear un-aged spirit made from wheat that was from Scotland, and that they called scotch, or a bottle of good aged barley-derived spirit labeled as scotch but also labeled as coming from japan?

Now I know that the legal definition of scotch contains production method and ingredient requirements as well as the national origin one, but that just goes to show that the method of production is what is really important, and origin requirements are just trying to monopolize a successful name, which, as I stated earlier has come to have a greater significance than its origin. And surely we can think of other products which have a name based on place of origin, but which now are defined by their nature of falling within a particular category of thing, rather than by being produced in a particular place. Kölsch is such an example, seeing as it's name is based on its origin in Cologne, but it is nonetheless possible to make a Kölsch anywhere in the world. Furthermore, considering that the top 11 Kölschs in the world come from the US, Canada, or Italy, (according to ratebeer.com) it seems as if Cologne hardly has a monopoly on producing a quality Kölsch. (And yes, I know that Kölsch is a protected designation of origin product as well, but that doesn't undermine my main point.)

The Best Kölsch in the World according to RateBeer.com

I would agree that it wouldn't be right if they were trying to portray their product as being made in Scotland, but I think they clearly aren't, and I disagree with your implied point that merely by using the word Scotch they are implying some sort of national origin.
I'm sorry if I only implied that point. I meant to make it clear: the word Scotch most definitely implies national origin.

Scotch whisky - from Scotland.
Irish whiskey - from Ireland
American whiskey - from America
Canadian whisky - from Canada

You get the idea. Kolsch is a completely different argument. "Scotch" itself is not a product, it's a country of origin of a product, namely "Scotch Whisky".

You can call anything you like Scotch; that's your prerogative. That doesn't change the fact that "Scotch" is just short for "Scotch whisky" and it implies country of origin in no uncertain terms.

-Joe

It's similar to the "Champagne" debate. If it's from California, you see "sparkling wine," not "Champagne" on the label. Champagne is a place, Scotland is a place.

If it's not made in Scotland, it's not Scotch.

It's similar to the "Champagne" debate. If it's from California, you see "sparkling wine," not "Champagne" on the label. Champagne is a place, Scotland is a place.
Exactly, and people still call it Champagne no matter where it's from. That doesn't make the product any lower quality, it's just not called Champagne because it's not made in Champagne.

Now you've got me Jonesing for some whisky. I think poker night tonight will be punctuated with JW black in dry Rob Roys :)

-Joe

I only drink it straight and warm, maybe with a dash of water. There are some nuts who import rocks from the area in Scotland that corresponds to their whisky, and freeze the rocks to use as ice.

I tend to gravitate towards hobbies that become very eccentric when taken to extremes.

Exactly, and people still call it Champagne no matter where it's from. That doesn't make the product any lower quality, it's just not called Champagne because it's not made in Champagne.

There is a reason that the US can call label sparkling wine as "champagne". Years ago, the French asked other countries to sign a treaty that would give them exclusive use of the word as wines from the appellation of Champagne. The US didn't sign it, because we didn't need to... this happened during Prohibition.

The reason that most California cellars don't call it "champagne" is because many are are owned or controlled by the French. Others do it out of respect for the treaty, even if they don't have to.

scotch tastes like ****...not sure what the appeal is. This is coming from a guy who will eat and drink anything...except scotch

:off:

I wouldn't know anything about that. I couldn't find my bottle of Tres Generaciones.:(

DSCN2114.jpg

Thanks, now I gotta go change my damn pants. :mug:

Last september I was in Mexico. It was an all inclusive resort and that meant including top shelf. One night the bar tender and I proceded to taste every single tequila they had. I lost count at 22. I think I probably drank 5 bottles of tequila in the week I was there. I am going again in January and can't wait.

scotch tastes like ****...not sure what the appeal is. This is coming from a guy who will eat and drink anything...except scotch

Gosh

Thanks for your wonderful contribution to this thread. I'm sure we're all taking a minute or three to reflect upon scotch and whether or not we should go on drinking it.

cheers

Before we go any further... Let's just get one thing straight!

It's pronounced Glenmorangie... It rhymes with Orangie.

Now that you know how to say it... All thats left... is to enjoy it!
(said in my best Scottish accent)

Drat... I just went to find a link and discovered their website has changed! They used to have a little sound clip of someone explaining how to pronounce the name. Regardless -- It's a tasty scotch.

I had always preferred the "lighter" scotches -- with little taste such as Glenfiddich. I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 7 or 8 years ago, and after struggling through the first couple of glasses, the world of peat opened up to me! I now love peaty scotches much better.

Damn you all.. I am going to need to pick up a couple of bottles of scotch tomorrow... It's been too long since I've sat back with my pipe and a few glasses....

Thanks, now I gotta go change my damn pants. :mug:

Last september I was in Mexico. It was an all inclusive resort and that meant including top shelf. One night the bar tender and I proceded to taste every single tequila they had. I lost count at 22. I think I probably drank 5 bottles of tequila in the week I was there. I am going again in January and can't wait.

Where is this place? :D

back to the OP: I acquired a taste for Scotch on a cruise SWMBO and I took last year. We found a cool bar tender from Bulgaria and I said surprise me one night and she gave me a Glennfiddich 12 neat. Said it was what she drank. I used to love vintage Port, but now I have a new vice, hehe.

Terje

depending on the scotch, I will drink it. However there are times with too much peat, Caol Ila, and I don't dig it. I like American better on the whole, not the sweet, because of the (lack of a better word) cleanness of it. I find that Scotch has more intrigue, but I think that American Whiskey and Bourbon are more interesting. Also, tradition is great but there are some amazing ways to make things better in life.

I love Scotch. I almost love Irish Whiskey more. I try to keep a bottle or two of anything reasonably good on-hand at the house, but unfortunately I tend to partake in drinking it rather than waiting for company to come over to serve it to.

Johnnie Walker Black is the house blend I go to, then usually Glenfiddich 15 Year single malt, and Readbreast 12 year Irish Whiskey (if I can find it).

Back