Ranco Not Working Error "EP"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Striker169

Reaction score
My ranco worked for the last 2 years without a hitch but this last weekend I went to grab a beer and it was warm :( I took a look at the Ranco I have and it said EP. After googleing it, it seems to be an error with the temp probe, has anyone else had this issue? What can I do to fix it? Or do I have to buy a new one?

do a google for the ranco manufacturer... they are good people to deal with in IME. Mine had an error code and they made it easy to send it back. Sent me a new one within a couple weeks. It was under warranty which i believe is one year though. Call 'em-- you can get a hold of an actual technician pretty easy.

I have my Ranco set up with removable probes. When I disconnect them, it dispalys EP as yours does. My guess is that it is not "seeing" the probes.

I have my Ranco set up with removable probes. When I disconnect them, it dispalys EP as yours does. My guess is that it is not "seeing" the probes.

or they got wet...some of those probes aren't 'wet' probes. I ruined one.

Good news is you can make one. DigiKey sells thermistors $0.77, that's right 77 cents. (1000 ohm at 25C) And shipping is like $2

Solder a 2-lead wire on the legs, drop into a tight-fitting brass, copper or SS tube, epoxy into place, and voila - a new probe.

do a google for the ranco manufacturer... they are good people to deal with in IME. Mine had an error code and they made it easy to send it back. Sent me a new one within a couple weeks. It was under warranty which i believe is one year though. Call 'em-- you can get a hold of an actual technician pretty easy.

Called them they said 1 year its been over 2 :(

or they got wet...some of those probes aren't 'wet' probes. I ruined one.

Good news is you can make one. DigiKey sells thermistors $0.77, that's right 77 cents. (1000 ohm at 25C) And shipping is like $2

Solder a 2-lead wire on the legs, drop into a tight-fitting brass, copper or SS tube, epoxy into place, and voila - a new probe.

Shame I can't Solder :( I guess I will just have to wait till I go back to Austin and get my friend who can to help me. Thanks for the info though!

Back