Unusual priming sugars, let's hear all about 'em!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLep

Reaction score
I love the experimentation that comes with homebrewing. I like to brew off the cuff or just get crazy with ingredients. Right now I want to experiment with different priming sugars. I did all the normal ones, DME, sugar and such. I have a honey ale ready to come off and that will get primed with honey, of course. My next beer is a Oatmeal Chocolate Brown Ale, which I'm going to prime with part chocolate. Probably about an ounce, plus another sugar. Now, I know there is sugar in a lot of things, can you prime with fruit, a sweet wine and so on? I just want to get crazy with this.

Why? The amount of sugar you need for priming is so small, I can almost guarantee that A) you'll get very little character from it, and B) you will have a hell of a time getting your carb levels right, and will most definitely end up ruining a ton of beers because they're over- or under-carbed. Now, you can do what you want, of course, but if it were me, to take that risk, there'd have to be some kind of great reward at the end---but the amounts we're talking about here, it just doesn't make a lot of sense, because you're not going to get much out of whatever you use. If you want a certain character in your beer, then get it into the boil or the keg or something.

I think I would have to disagree, people here have been talking about using liqueur's and such. A gentleman even spoke of using cocoa as a partial primer, instead of in the boil. Because as he said, most would be suspended and be lost in the primary. I'm not going to get into a fight here, but this is all about experimentation, we can all follow recipe's and make great beers. How about going above and beyond and doing things out of the norm. That is exactly how Dog Fishhead got it's start, doing things others don't. I want the road NOT traveled. Thanks for your input though.

I think I would have to disagree, people here have been talking about using liqueur's and such. A gentleman even spoke of using cocoa as a partial primer, instead of in the boil. Because as he said, most would be suspended and be lost in the primary. I'm not going to get into a fight here, but this is all about experimentation, we can all follow recipe's and make great beers. How about going above and beyond and doing things out of the norm. That is exactly how Dog Fishhead got it's start, doing things others don't. I want the road NOT traveled. Thanks for your input though.

Great- experimenting is great. I think fermenting unusual things and brewing with unique ingredients is cool. When it comes to priming, though, we're talking about less than 4 ounces of sugar in 5 gallons. I can't see that it would be enough to make a bit of difference. You can't prime with cocca, because you need fermentable sugar. So, they must have used something fermentable, too.

So, experiment all you want. Maple syrup, honey, sugar, juice concentrate (without preservatives) will all work. But since it's for priming, there shouldn't be any flavor or any noticeable effects left behind.

If you want flavor, though, or cool ideas, you can add all kinds of things to the secondary!

If you want flavor, though, or cool ideas, you can add all kinds of things to the secondary!

Good point. I will try adding to the secondary as well.

Perhaps as for the priming issue, maybe it's a purist mentality, I made a honey ale, so prime with honey. Although, and I will find the post again, where a guy talked about using cocoa and dextrose for a primer and that resulted in a chocolate flavor in the beer. I will try this. So, you ruin a few batches, how many did Dogfish ruin before they got it right.

Good point. I will try adding to the secondary as well.

Perhaps as for the priming issue, maybe it's a purist mentality, I made a honey ale, so prime with honey. Although, and I will find the post again, where a guy talked about using cocoa and dextrose for a primer and that resulted in a chocolate flavor in the beer. I will try this. So, you ruin a few batches, how many did Dogfish ruin before they got it right.

Man, I see how it is...you disagree with me, but then a lady comes along and says pretty much the same thing, and it's "a good point". Uh huh. ;););)

Yeah, you can definitely add stuff (flavorings, etc) at bottling. I have done that tons of times. It's actually the best time to add flavor extracts. But that's not the same thing as priming sugars. My point was, given the very small amounts of whatever you're using, the chance of getting certain flavor/aroma characteristics from the actual priming material (meaning, a fermentable sugar) is not very good. But adding priming sugar and another flavoring like cocoa or scotch extract or spruce extract? More power to ya, that's when it's the best time to add, like I said.

As for comparing it to Sam Calagione, well...I can tell you now that most fermentables have already been tried as priming sugars, so it's not exactly uncharted waters...and from what I've seen, it's very easy to over- or under-carb because nobody knows the right amounts unless you know the percent of fermentable sugar in it...and even if they have gotten it just right, there's not been enough to make a flavor difference. You want a maple syrup character? Add a bunch of maple syrup late in the boil. You want a honey character? Use honey malt. You want a cassis character? Add cassis essence and dextrose at bottling time. Etc., etc.

Man, I see how it is...you disagree with me, but then a lady comes along and says pretty much the same thing, and it's "a good point". Uh huh. ;););)

Yeah, you can definitely add stuff (flavorings, etc) at bottling. I have done that tons of times. It's actually the best time to add flavor extracts. But that's not the same thing as priming sugars. My point was, given the very small amounts of whatever you're using, the chance of getting certain flavor/aroma characteristics from the actual priming material (meaning, a fermentable sugar) is not very good. But adding priming sugar and another flavoring like cocoa or scotch extract or spruce extract? More power to ya, that's when it's the best time to add, like I said.

As for comparing it to Sam Calagione, well...I can tell you now that most fermentables have already been tried as priming sugars, so it's not exactly uncharted waters...and from what I've seen, it's very easy to over- or under-carb because nobody knows the right amounts unless you know the percent of fermentable sugar in it...and even if they have gotten it just right, there's not been enough to make a flavor difference. You want a maple syrup character? Add a bunch of maple syrup late in the boil. You want a honey character? Use honey malt. You want a cassis character? Add cassis essence and dextrose at bottling time. Etc., etc.

I got ya Evan, I was agreeing with her right for experimentation. Perhaps, what I was intending to do was exactly what you said. Add things at bottling. That I will try. I appreciate your insight in the matter. Although, I will be priming my honey ale with honey. But, that's not too off the wall.

Hey, have you ever done the krausen technique? I'd like to try that but can't find a good equation for such. i suppose though, if I were to go by the degrees Plato, that would tell me the sugar content of my wort. Given that number, I could plug that in a carbonation equation, would that work do you suppose?

Latest posts

Back