Ferocious IPA piney?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
I'm looking at doibng the midwest supplies ferocious ipa kit in the near future here, and was hoping someone anyone who's tried it could tell me how piney/non-piney it ends up being. I see that you dry hop partially with simcoe and I know simcoe tends to be somewhat piney. I'm really not crazy about the pine flavor. Anyone tried this kit?

I did the midwest clone, very floral and grapefruit-like. Didn't get any pine flavor. It's definitely a favorite at my house. I'm too cheap to spring $3 + tax a can for the original so I can't compare.

I am actually drinking on some Ferocious IPA's right now. I don't get any heavy piney flavors out of this brew. The only thing that I would change is doing late additions of the LME. However, it is not overly sweet due to all of the hops used in this recipe. I get all of the bitterness and flavors from the hops, but I wish I would get a little more aromatics. I probably could have taken it out of the secondary a few days earlier, but no complaints here. I would definitely recommend this kit, and I will more than likely purchase another. Unless I enjoy this Octane IPA that's sitting on oak chips more, tough call.

Thanks for the input. Figured I'd add this question to this thread, how did you guys let this stuff ferment/condition? A lot of people in the review section talk about 1 week in primary and 2 in secondary with dry hops. I'm a little wary of racking out of primary after only a week.

Dry hop aroma degrades rapidly, so you really want to figure out when you're going to bottle, and dry hop the previous 7 days.

Basically, after the beer his FG (which should happen quickly if you pitched enough healthy yeast), if you don't have too many off flavors, give it a week or two, and then you can bottle. You should be dry hopping the last 7 days of ferment/bulk conditioning.

Thanks Daksin. Just wondering, did you guys get simcoe or citra in your kits? There's a discrepancy between the directions pdf and the product description on Midwest's website. The simcoe is what I'm afraid of.. if I get that it might mean a trip to the LHBS for a replacement.

My kit came with some Simcoe leaves for dry hopping. Just about done with all my Ferocious and about to bottle my Octane IPA tonight! Not sure if I will be buying the Ferocious IPA anytime soon, only b/c I want to try out some other recipes first. However, I have NO complaints it would highly recommend it to anyone!

I've gotten this kit from Midwest twice before I started doing it myself. Both times, my kit came with Citra and I will say that this is my favorite IPA.

I haven't tried it with Simcoe, but as Citra is one of my favorite aroma and flavoring hops, this recipe is great! The aroma, taste and aftertaste are all different and makes for a very sophisticated taste.

Back