Sanyo - SR-3770

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, I am a little worried about ruining it. It is a good fridge as is, and it would be a shame to break it. But at the same time I got it for free last night. I am not sure what to do. I would be using it to keep my fermenter at the correct temperature. :confused:

I have been reading about this (as I just got one of these for free) and you can apparently bend, CAREFULLY, the freezer compartment down to the back of the fridge. http://onebeer.net/pub/bendie1.jpg This will give you enough clearance for a keg and C02 http://onebeer.net/pub/newkeger2.jpg. I am going to attempt this, and will get back to you on it.

How did this work out Mirage? I have the same fridge and I am desperate to find a way to make it work for me. Where there's a will there's a way right? Are there instructions anywhere for how to do this "CAREFUL bending" ?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forums! I actually did not end up converting it. My girlfriend and I decided it would be better to have it as a beer fridge than a fermentation chamber. If you search for fridge conversion though, people talk about carefully bending the freezer parts to the back of the fridge. If you unhook the freezer unit, you can push it down to the back so the U is facing you. Some people have pictures. Hope that helps!

I think I have this fridge, or at least a pretty similiar. I bent the freezer down with no problems at all. It will easily fit on 5g corny and 5lb tank. Hold a 5g carboy aswell but I had to duct tape the door shut. It will 'almost' fit 2 cornys. I am planning on building a small wooden collar to allow 2 cornys to fit. As far as bending that freezer plate thing down, I had a tub bender that I slid against said tube to be bent. It was too tight of a fit to actually operate the lever of the bender, but the bender offered a nice round support to prevent kinking. I imagine any tube of sturdy tube or pipe braced against that freezer tube would work though to prevent a kink.

I've seen the pictures of people bending the freezer element to the back, but the problem with the 3770 was that .. well it doesn't match those pictures. I don't think those were the same model because the tubing is in a different location and the metal freezer shelf is a different shape.

But I took a gamble and I managed to pull it off. I bent the unit to the left wall because that was the only way to do it given the tubing on this particular model. I have pictures below.
Picasa Web Albums - derek - My brewing
I still need to remove shelving on the door front, but that should be easy. IT should be enough room for a 5 gallon keg and Co2 side by side.
Only thing yet to be determined is how this will effect the beer once its in it because of the freezer panels location. It might get really code next to it where as the ones that bend it to the back give more spacing between them and the keg.

Good work! Yours looks different than mine does on the inside. They must have changed the models up or something (mine is white inside).The door part is easy to take off. :)

I've seen the pictures of people bending the freezer element to the back, but the problem with the 3770 was that .. well it doesn't match those pictures. I don't think those were the same model because the tubing is in a different location and the metal freezer shelf is a different shape.

But I took a gamble and I managed to pull it off. I bent the unit to the left wall because that was the only way to do it given the tubing on this particular model. I have pictures below.
I still need to remove shelving on the door front, but that should be easy. IT should be enough room for a 5 gallon keg and Co2 side by side.
Only thing yet to be determined is how this will effect the beer once its in it because of the freezer panels location. It might get really code next to it where as the ones that bend it to the back give more spacing between them and the keg.

hey there, how is this working out for you? I have the same model fridge and just did the bending last night. I turned on the fridge and noticed the ice start to form pretty quickly. Is it a factor for you?

hey there, how is this working out for you? I have the same model fridge and just did the bending last night. I turned on the fridge and noticed the ice start to form pretty quickly. Is it a factor for you?

following up on your follow up. Just got a good deal on this fridge and looking into how best to bend the freezer. Is the idea to bend the tube at the joint or the tray as a whole. I'm willing to risk it, just don't want to start off on the wrong foot from the get-go. Also, what are people's input regarding making a collar for a fridge (in order so that this one can fit 2 cornys)? bad idea? Any input would help. Thanks

I just bent the actual panel itself, not the tubing. I found that the beer in the corny wasn't getting an even temperature so i installed a computer fan that is plugged into the temp control so the fan blows up the panel whenever its on, this seems to work out pretty well.

Let me know if you find anything about making a collar because i only have the 1 corny in there with the CO2 tank behind it. it seems like it'd be tough to fit a second 5gal.

Awesome, thanks for getting back to me. Follow-up question: did you cut the plastic siding that holds the freezer tray? I'm referring to those little tabs (2 above and 2 below) that hold the tray in place. I'm planning on attempting THE BEND this weekend. so your approach was the same as the picture someone posted: bend the tray to the left side of the fridge, correct?

Any other tips/tricks you did? Did you just bend by hand of with tools? Did you need to do the cornstach/alcohol trick to spot any freon lines in the top of the fridge before drilling? Any photos you could post to provide insight? Hoping I don't mess this up...

As for the collar, I found this post that had some insight into the idea. I can't tell what size pieces of wood those are, but they seem pretty wide (wider than what would be needed to extend a 3770 to fit 2 cornies). I've modeled up a mockup of the fridge in a 3D modeler (slow work day...) and it looks like an additional 4" of depth might JUST allow a second corny (both the 8.5" X 25" sized ball locks) to fit (depends somewhat on adjustments to the door) and with 6" of depth it should make it no problem. So either a collar made of 2X4s or 2X6s should do the job, and I'd follow this guys post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/finished-keggerator-someone-switched-my-swmbo-122962/

Awesome, thanks for getting back to me. Follow-up question: did you cut the plastic siding that holds the freezer tray? I'm referring to those little tabs (2 above and 2 below) that hold the tray in place. I'm planning on attempting THE BEND this weekend. so your approach was the same as the picture someone posted: bend the tray to the left side of the fridge, correct?

Any other tips/tricks you did? Did you just bend by hand of with tools? Did you need to do the cornstach/alcohol trick to spot any freon lines in the top of the fridge before drilling? Any photos you could post to provide insight? Hoping I don't mess this up...

As for the collar, I found this post that had some insight into the idea. I can't tell what size pieces of wood those are, but they seem pretty wide (wider than what would be needed to extend a 3770 to fit 2 cornies). I've modeled up a mockup of the fridge in a 3D modeler (slow work day...) and it looks like an additional 4" of depth might JUST allow a second corny (both the 8.5" X 25" sized ball locks) to fit (depends somewhat on adjustments to the door) and with 6" of depth it should make it no problem. So either a collar made of 2X4s or 2X6s should do the job, and I'd follow this guys post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/finished-keggerator-someone-switched-my-swmbo-122962/

Nope, I only bent. I didn't do any cutting. I think I didn't even notice the tabs when i was doing it and they just kinda snapped off. I was worried i had broken an essential part but its fine. No tools, just by hand.

I actually decided to go the tap through the door route, so i didn't have to do the corn starch trick.

well I did my bend last weekend, now I'm working on adding the collar to give me the extra space I'm looking for :) So far so good I think.

Back