Which strain ?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I'm going to brew a small batch of ale-style Beer , using Light DME .

I have no fining agent .

I can control fermentation Temperature well .

Which dried yeast strain would you prefer for brewing ?!

Nottingham OR Muntons Standard yeast ?!

Hector

Nottingham is preferred for me. I've never used Muntons, but I've read good things about Notty & just stuck with that. Haven't been disappointed yet.

Nottingham can be a little slow to flocculate out but it's not terrible. You can certainly use it without fining. A cold crash after primary will help clear the beer as well. Do you have access to Safale S-05? I believe that will drop out quicker than Nottingham and leave a clear beer for you.

Of those two strains you should definately go with nottingham, I will never use muntons again due to the very problem you are trying to avoid.

I believe Munton's standard yeast is intended for kit+kilo recipes, low-attenuating for highly fermentable worts. Nottingham will chomp up sugar molecules you never knew existed. Unless the recipe has a lot of white sugar, Notty is probably the better choice.

Zen's right, Notty will clear pretty well on its own once it's cold.

I'm not sure about Notty, but I've used Munton's on a few batches. After trying out S-05 I will never go back to Munton's. It's a flavor thing for me.

Munton's left my batches dull and boring, S-05 tasted bright, crisp and delicious (on both APA and IPA batches). I'll continue to try different yeast strains (looking for the best flavor), but my days of using Munton's are over.

Another vote for Nottingham. I sugggest lower fermentation temperatures and at least a 3 week primary to get clean flavors and good flocculation out of it. If you do those two things, Notty can produce a great beer. As others have mentioned, S-05 is another good choice. It's more forgiving of temp variations and floccs out a little better.

Back