Looking for 2 Recipes, please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all I am looking for 2 recipes.

First I am looking for a good Helles Bock to brew as I have some of the season Wyeast and thought is might be nice to try.

Second I am looking a recipe that I can oak in my new Oak barrel. I like mostly IPA or IIPAs but I am willing to step out of my comfort zone. Plus I treated this barrel with Whiskey about 6 months ago and it has had water in it ever since.

Thank you!

Tom

I can't help you with the bock as I don't care for them. But I would go with one of you stand by IIPA's to barrel. Make a double batch even and serve em side by side. Otherwise just browse the recipce archive for a stout, or maybe a barleywine. Cheers.

Hmmm, oaked I/IIPAs are good, but I don't know about a whiskey barrel one. I vote big barleywine. Watch it closely, you don't want to over-barrel age it as (IMHO) many commercial brewers do.

I brewed a beer with the Wyeast 2487 Hella-Bock yeast, and it was MARVELOUS! It's my "PDX Augustinerbrau", a clone of the Salzburg Augustiner Braü Marzen. It came out at about 6.2% ABV or so, and has a marvelous maltiness that is quite tasty (plus just a little bit hot, which may settle down with extended lagering).

Here's the link to my partial mash version. Please note that I used Briess Dry Pilsner Malt Extract in place of the LME, and actually used the Wyeast 2487 (neither ingredient was in the hopville.com database, so I used the ingredients that were as close as possible):
http://hopville.com/recipe/114467/oktoberfest-mrzen-recipes/pdx-augustinerbrau

Here's a link to the All Grain version, which I will be brewing this week. If you can't get Spalt Select hops, you can use the hopping schedule for the partial mash version (Magnum & Hallertau):
http://hopville.com/recipe/115987/munich-helles-recipes/pdx-augustinerbrau-ag

Latest posts

Back