Should I dump my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desp

Reaction score
So I attempted a BIAB version of the Miller Lite Clone that I found posted on HBT, unfortunately I did something wrong, probably didn't use enough water and I don't think my grains were crushed fine enough to get everything out of the BIAB setup... But my gravity was way low. I obviously shouldn't have topped off the fermenting bucket at 5 gallons and it might have been OK, but I did top it off, and the gravity was around 1.025. So instead of cutting my loses there I decided to boil another gallon of water, add 1.5c of DME, and liking to experiment I added 1/2c of Waxy Maize. In case you're unfamiliar with Waxy Maize, it's a complex starch derived from corn that is naturally high in amylopectin, a high molecular weight, highly branched polysaccharide.

I cooled down that mixture after boiling for 15 minutes (the waxy maize clumped too.. yay) and added to the bucket, stirred and took another gravity reading. Oh yeah also added a cup of honey, why not right?

1.035... OK that's better. Pitched the dry yeast and put away.

1 week later (today) I popped the lid to take a gravity reading and add the amylase enzyme. Floating on the top seems to be a slight broken film in places with crystal like structures floating (that's an infection, right?) or an odd side effect from the waxy maize, it did clump afterall...

So I take my reading and add the enzyme, it's right around 1.010...

Then I taste it...

Tastes like bitter death. A slight corn taste from the maize added to the mash, which is suppose to go away after adding the enzyme and letting it ferment some more. But I'm not so sure if it's going to be even drinkable after that happens.

What's up with the floating possible infection? Should I even bother to see if it turns around? I was going to dry hop it but I don't know if I want to waste the hops.

Can you post a picture of the crystal structures?

Did you use this recipe?

Yes, that was the recipe.

And here she is...

67E823B4-2A59-4E3B-996D-741A12F780B9-7526-00000A2FD98BF9CC.jpg

Is the floating layer growing, diminishing, or staying the same?

As for the bitter taste, I have noticed that in some of my hydrometer samples the bitterness is really strong until the beer is primed (and aged for the 2-3 weeks priming requires). This is exacerbated by the light body of your recipe - no malt sweetness to balance it out.

If your floaties are not growing, I would say dry-hop and bottle it.

Maybe someone else will have a different opinion, but at this point $1.00 more in hops and you're done.

Is the floating layer growing, diminishing, or staying the same?

As for the bitter taste, I have noticed that in some of my hydrometer samples the bitterness is really strong until the beer is primed (and aged for the 2-3 weeks priming requires). This is exacerbated by the light body of your recipe - no malt sweetness to balance it out.

If your floaties are not growing, I would say dry-hop and bottle it.

Maybe someone else will have a different opinion, but at this point $1.00 more in hops and you're done.

I added the amylase today, I guess I can let it go a few days and then check the floaties again, if it's not worse I'll throw in the hops for a few weeks then bottle.

I think it will be fine. Like CGish asked, is it growing?

Probably just krausen that hasn't drop all the way yet, you said it's only been sevens day right? Give it another week and take a look. Till then, start planning your next brew! :D

Back