Where to start in creating a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
I'm new to all grain brewing, have an all digital system, but to this point have only done recipes I've copied from other users. I'm ready to start creating my own recipes, but don't really know where to start since there are so many variables. That being said, how do you all start when you want to create a new recipe? Also, where do you start in modifying that recipe if you want to make changes?

Pick the style. Once you have that, you have an idea of the ingredients and the numbers. Then I just start throwing ingredients in to Beersmith to line everything up.

Why not just take recipes you know you like and tweak them a little to match your tastes? Figure out what you like and what you're going for and then taylor an already solid recipe to match it.

You need to know
  • what you want, and
  • what ingredients or processes that will provide that.

What you want
When a beer is judged by an experienced judge, he'll start by classifying according to aroma, appearance, flavor, mouthfeel, and overall drinkability. When you decide you want to make a beer, you will need to address each one of these. Each one can be manipulated by an ingredient or a brewing process.

Ingredients
Every malt has a different flavor, and might also contribute to other parts of the beer such as mouthfeel and appearance. I like what John Palmer said in his book How To Brew (he said it better in the book, but this is copied from the web):
To help get your creative juices flowing, here is a rough approximation of the recipes for the common ale styles:
Pale Ale - base malt plus a half pound of caramel malt,
Amber Ale - pale ale plus a half pound of dark caramel malt,
Brown Ale - pale ale plus a half pound of chocolate malt
Porter - amber ale plus a half pound of chocolate malt,
Stout - porter plus a half pound of roast barley.​
Besides malt, yeast and hops can have a profound affect on your beer. Also, certain beers like soft Bohemian Pilseners can benefit from additives to the water as well.

Color is changed by the malts. Using software makes dialing-in the color very easy.

Process
The last part of your recipe must include process decisions like mash temperature, boil duration, fermentation temps, finings / chilling for clarity, etc. Another process decision, the hop schedule, affects the hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma of the beer, which of course has a great effect on the final product.

Most weizen beers begin on a base of 40-60% pilsner (or pale malt if you prefer) and the rest is malted wheat. You can add aromatic, chocolate, carafa, munich, crystal, vienna, chocolate wheat etc. to modify the flavor and produce dunkelweizen, etc.

First I decide on a style and what traits/flavors from that style I'd like to emphasize. I'll read whatever books I have on hand that might help me out (usually Brewing Classic Styles and Designing Great Beers, along with a third book like Brew Like A Monk if I have one that covers that particular style). I'll also scope out recent threads about the style both here and on Beer Advocate's homebrewing forum. From there I'll put together a first draft in BeerSmith and post it here and on BA for feedback. From there I'll take the responses into consideration and make any final changes.

Back